The Lonely Tire Swing (Mrk2)

I’ve spent way too long on this considering how its turned out. I really need to speed up my process. Any critiques appreciated.

5 Likes

So ambitious. Turn it into a grey scale image and see if the values hold up for clarity. That is the fight I have on every image. Way to share.

2 Likes

How can I tell if the values hold up? Do you mean just see if I can see what everything is when its greyscale?

1 Like

If I can give some advice, usually the focal points of your image will have the most contrast, and the less important elements will not. This helps to focus the viewer’s eye on important stuff really quickly. Just by looking at your values, both the waterfall and moon/clouds have the same value- white. Thus there isn’t a clear focal point for the viewer to immediately see.

Another tip is to understand where the light source is coming from. The moon is blocked behind the waterfall, therefore the light probably wouldn’t be as bright in the water near the rocks. A work around this is to move the moon somewhere it can illuminate the waterfall, or darken the waterfall and have the moon as the focal point.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I wanted to try and make the tree and tire the focal point but it has darkest colour and I thought the moon light should be brighter cause of that. I think i’ll move the moon a bit higher and maybe change the colour of the tire and increase the contrast and detail on the tree and see if that works.

Good idea. You can also increase the readability of the tire by positioning it more over the waterfall, so the light water contrasts with the tire.

Another suggestion would be adding light to the tree- it will be lit up by the moon the same way the rocks are, and would again help with the value problem.

Finally, it sort of looks like you’re sticking to a rule of thirds composition. That’s great, but you want something in the painting that leads the viewer’s eye around to important points. You can do this by maybe adding diagonal rays from the moon to the tyre, or have the river bed be brighter and wrap more around to the moon’s direction.

1 Like

I know absolutely nothing about the techniques of art so my suggestion may be way off. To me though this Konstantin picture shows you how he used value, the difference between white to black, to highlight the depth and focus of his image. What I meant was looking at your pictures like this shows you what the focus is. If you were trying to focus on the tree ask yourself if that’s what draws the eye.

2 Likes

You can see in that great example the values are grouped in order of importance; background is least important, so less contrast and lighter value. Midground-foreground is most important, thus higher contrast/ value range and darker values overall. (That attracts the eye more)

If you could make paintings like that you’d be set! :grin:(And that’s just greyscale- shows the importance of value in composition very well I think).

1 Like

That picture looks incredible. I found loads of new artists to follow from that piece. Thank you both again for the advice I’ll try painting in grey fro a while to get my values down. Cheers! :heart:

1 Like