The Offering

This started as a morning warmup pic and turned into a full speed painting. I was also experimenting with a new brush variation I just made.

For the full experience listen to this while looking at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD65K4VR6Lw

Date: 2020. May 25.
Time: 2 hours

[ Support my art on Patreon ] or…
[ Buy me a coffee. :3 ]

[Commission info] [Terms and Conditions] Artwork © Storm Engineer, Licensed CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing and for the music link. And good luck on the contest.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

What about the lighting? Everything is lit up differently.

Not sure what do you mean. Could you elaborate please?

I really don’t know why are you reading light directions like that. The direction is overhead and slightly towards the right and slightly towards us.

On the mountains that’s not cast shadow, just receiving less light due too angle, though I guess I could have made that more subtle.

3 Likes

Lovely work! I really like the effectiveness of your brushstrokes! Beautiful!

It is necessary to distinguish between a shaded surface (not illuminated) and the cast shadow. But I will not insist, the author is always right.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s not a very constructive attitude… I absolutely and fully disagree with that statement.

Also I asked for critique because I want to hear it, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with absolutely everything people say.

I never implied that the piece is perfect, I even mentioned that I could have done the mountain differently because I see why it reads wrong. But I don’t think the lighting is as inconsistent as you suggest with those arrows, and I’m just genuinely confused about how did you come to those arrows. Especially the ones on the right, if light came that way a lot more of the cape would receive highlight, not only the upward facing parts. I just can’t see what you see there. But if I’m just missing something, please help me understand.

2 Likes