Trying Gradient Map for the first time. Is there a way to use them better?

Recently as I draw a lot greyscale images, I wanted to try gradient maps out. I’ve never used them before.

Concludingly, I think they’re only good for small things you’re lazy to paint for.
Example.
from

It’s nice enough but not wholly fulfilling but that’s really intelligent coming form an unintelligent machine.

Is there a way to use them better?
Opinions,Tips and Feedback are most welcome!

One thing you could do is paint with the gradient map in mind.
i.e. use a wide range of lightness levels or wide spread of greyscale values.
Also, paint particuar features with a particular greyscale value.
Whenever you use a gradient map, you’re able to adjust the existing control point’s colour and transparency and to add or delete control points.
You can create your own new gradient maps too if you want.

Edit:Add: Quick example:

1 Like

In Photoshop I used Gradient Maps to colorize drawings. Something I did was change the gradient layer mode to Overlay, Soft Light, Color or others. I don’t know if it’s possible to do this in Krita… if it is, it’s something you can try.

Here’s an image, very old, made in Photoshop. The character’s skin colorization was done by a gradient map and the gradient layer is in Color mode. This image is from an old site of mine, from 2006, I don’t think it’s worth showing here because the texts are not in English:

1 Like

You can create gradient map as a filter layer, and then change the blending mode.

2 Likes

That is a filter mask which is different than a filter layer.

1 Like

This could be very useful @AhabGreybeard. I’ve seen the slider, and I’ll try tinkering with it.

@Guerreiro64 Thanks for the advice! The effect is clearly seen and I daresay more appealing.

1 Like

Such as this as a filter layer