Very large public art made with Krita

Close to one year ago I made some public art in Gothenburg, Sweden. A tribute to the working people that keep our city running.

230 x 170 cm’s, 300 dpi, which led to a special workflow, doing the digital inks in 300 dpi, the colors in 150dpi, later upscaled.

Krita can handle this, but it was a borderline case. Anyway, with public art, pixelation disappears when printed and watched IRL. So, this was also a kind of proof of concept, promoting open source software.

And I love Jugend/Art nouveau! And it was great to put them up with family and friends! There is something special with physical artefacts.

21 Likes

Congratulations!, It’s a beautiful tribute.
“230 x 170 cm’s, 300 dpi” this is really big.
Sometimes I work with files up to 50x50cm (or A2 size). krita works very well, but if I use too many layers the slowness starts because of my hardware (from 2013).

Drawing in very large sizes is quite counterproductive in some cases. For example: drawing with perfect cross hatches (like Gustave Doré). When it is necessary to make long lines/strokes organic and also precise/techinique. And even paintings.

What I mean: it may not be necessary to draw that big. Upscale and later adjustments can be a good feature (just like you use in colors).

I think about this subject a lot because of some work for advertising. I hope one day to write something about, maybe a booklet.
Advertising has asked me for A2 size artwork, no matter how it will be printed or used. For example: Art A2 size for a wine bottle label. I already faced that.

2 Likes

Thank you @mmiller! Lots of interesting thoughts.

Yes, a Gustav Doré 300dpi of over 2m’s height is something I want to do but that can wait! :smiley:

I work at 300 dpi A3 (30x42cm’s) 95 percent of the time. I can easily work with 15 layers in that size. But A2 is 4x that size (power of two), so it quickly gets complicated.

I experienced some crashes, and had to work very carefully with these drawings: Only two layers (lineart + colors). Working on my most powerful computer.

Anyway, it was a fun (and paid :smiley: ) project. And, most importantly, I learned a lot.

Good luck with your A2 stuff! Keep us posted!

2 Likes