Wanted to replicate this in Krita with a different approach but couldn't

How do you even draw shapes like the one shown in this picture, using Krita ?
Do you forcefully need a vector editor and export to svg for it to be perfect later in your comics ?
I’m quite reluctant to using two apps to draw comics and I’m wondering if the pros do it.
Can’t tell if these were made manually or mechanically, with a vector program or a bitmap program. But I wish I knew the secret.

Hello,
I always wandered about this type of drawing, where a pattern wraps around an object. I didn’t try it to draw something like this thou, but after learning about the Mesh Transform I thought that it could be a good or “okayish” way to do it. Also, it could be a way to repeat the same pattern in different perspectives.
Like I said, I didn’t try this approach so I don’t know if the filter options when transforming the pattern would be a problem.

Cheers.

Honestly, I don’t think any filter would be needed to draw these patterns. Though, transforming might be needed, say to copy a rotated shape for instance. I’d say that the real challenge here is drawing the pattern itself. Putting it in perspective and wrapping it on a surface isn’t too difficult since there’s the mesh transform and wrap modes.
But managing to draw these even spaced shapes in the first place, is manually quite hard to do… How did they even do it then ? Aaahh…

this looks like a case of having drawn a hi-res version of the designs beforehand, pasted them in and trimmed off the excess with no transformations applied.

vectors arent mandatory though. you COULD do these things with vectors directly in krita or maybe with inkscape if you want a free alternative. but you could also just draw them in raster graphics at a really high resolution like 2000x2000 (way larger than any one web comic panel needs to be). make use of things like mirroring and layer styles in order to have perfect symmetry and even outline. then import and shrink them to whatever size you need. shrinking a hi-res graphic down will also help to even out any small mistakes in them.

When I said filter I meant the filter the transform tool applies to the layer being transformed, like Bilinear, Bicubic, Bell and the like. Because they can blur the pattern if the transformation is to drastic (I believe), so I mentioned.
About the process of applying the pattern we are in the same page. Using the mesh transform or wrap mode seems to be really good to make more natural to print a pattern on a ‘3D’ object.

I didn’t even consider that you were talking about drawing the patterns itself. So like @Halcyoen said you can create a vector layer in Krita and draw using vector. Then save the layer to copy it and paste on the panels it appears.

If you want to remain in Krita but don’t want to deal with vectors, I found that using the Grid and Guides docker in combination with parallel rulers are really good to make precise and measurable strokes to paint patterns directly. For curves strokes using the Freehand Path Tool and Bezier Curve Tool (the latter have even a Angle constrain) directly on a Paint Layer are also a good way produce consistent curved lines for a pattern drawing.
All this in combination with the Mirror Tool can provide some really good results in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

I’m no pro though and @Daishishi had answered most of it. - this is how i approach it.

I’ll draw it on the side on a separate layer.
Then copy it and mesh transform it.
Like for that specific pattern I’ll draw it on the side with mirror on.
Then copy the resulting image and transform that copy.

Now if this pattern is something repeatedly appearing in the comics. Ill be drawing it in separate file, save it / make a brush tip or trace to bitmap it or keep the file to import later. Then mesh transform, perspective transform, whatever necessary to fit it.

it also nice to try bump/displace mapping it if you want more fit.

example - this tshirts.

Goodluck :slight_smile:

These patterns are actually associated with their cultures, like in the picture you showed is Chinese culture. If you want to make a similar pattern of your own, you can find more Chinese patterns and imitate them, then you can find the “language” of these patterns and create your Chinese pattern. BTW I don’t think the pattern shown in your picture is a “good” Chinese pattern since it’s too spiky, Chinese pattern has more round corners.

As @Halcyoen and @Daishishi said you could create the pattern separately and paste them in the artwork at appropriate places. Only thing I would add is that - If it was me, I would create these pattern and save a file and later use that file as a file layer in the page and then adjust them acordingly with transform mask and transparency mask. That way If I make slight changes in the pattern layer I won’t need to update it on every page.

That is clearly a stamp imported in. It is not even distorted to fit the surface it is just cut in half. I started working on photobash because of this sort of thing.