What happens when you don't resize the image when trying to save for whatever?

Exactly What It Says on the Tin. I make BIG image, I resize, it looks… much more pixelated… what happens if I don’t resize?

Bigger resolution equals bigger file, it’s as simple as that. Some file formats produce smaller files than others but have different disadvantages. JPG for example produces very small files, even with big resolution but will always lose quality no matter what, because of its lossy compression algorithm. Resizing will always cause a loss in quality since you are basically removing pixels from the image and the quality can suffer when you overdo it.

So what happens with BIG file? Lag? Broken internet?

Nothing basically. Some websites don’t accept files that are too large in size or dimensions. They use more space on your drive and can take longer to save or load, depending on how weak your computer (or whatever device you use) is.

Also, if it’s large than the eventual size it will be displayed at, resizing will happen anyway. Post it here, and the forum software and/or web browser will resize your image to fit. Probably Krita will do a better job of it.

What size image is “BIG” and what are you resizing to?

KA doesn’t accept images that are too large. You will just get an error message showing the allowed image size.

@ARandomPage If you don’t like pixelation, maybe you should look into vector graphics? Inkscape is a good free vector drawing program.

Hrmm. By “BIG”, it just meant “below 10,000 pixels” since that’s what I use.

A simple 100x100pixels document is made of 10,000 pixels and it’s very SMALL file :thinking:

Your question and definition of “BIG” is not really clear.
Also, what’s your computer characteristics?

On my side I have image with more than 160,000,000pixels
Can open and work o it without any problem.

Grum999

You haven’t tried the one I recommended, yet you want another one? :slight_smile:

I don’t remember the exact size KA allows. Somewhere around 2000x2000 pixels.

Oh. I mistyped. I meant that the dimensions were each below 10,000 (eg. 6000 pixels by 6000 pixels, a space I used for my second digital drawing). My computer is basically PotatOS.

Sorry. Also, OK.

Ah ok, sorry :sweat_smile:
6000x6000 is like usual files I’m working on, that’s big but not SO big.

The things is, to work on a 6000x6000 pixels size document, you need to have a strong computer, especially if:

• You work with some brushes (smudge I think) with a size higher than than 600px Krita can slow down and be a bit laggy
  • You have many layers

By computer characteristic, I mean, which CPU and amount of memory.
Amount of memory is very important to be able to work on file for which dimension are large.

But if I understand, the question is more “what happen if I don’t resize”, I suppose you don’t have problem with Krita himself, but it seems you’re facing a problem with a saved file with large dimensions.
What problem did you encounter exactly?

:sweat_smile:
You might have Tera or Peta Bytes of data everyday who transit on internet, an image can’t broke intenet :wink:

Grum999

Start from the small sized canvas, and enlarging the image later might have less problems. (You should do more work or retouch if you want to get higher definition in the painting, though)
But the opposite, resizing it to small from a large image could have a problem like the pixelated or cracking issue, like you had.

Think of a space full of crowds. What if you need to force them to move into a much smaller space? Some of the crowds must be failed to get in. You can imagine a similar situation happening in the image space. There may be a advanced image processor for resizing photos or images (Denoising, Anti-aliasing, etc), but there are always fundamental issues.

As the artists told you above, bigger image files usually have big data sizes. And lots of websites, unless a major Art-contents based site, has a limit of the file size like around 10MB, or less than that. It’s because of the websites’ server space, but also the big sized image file (like more than 5MB) can be a burden to load the image on each user’s device.

And in a view of artist, an unnecessarily big size of canvas can cause lag when you need to paint a large area of the canvas (or when you’re loading/saving the file), because of the usage of the PC’s memory.

I’m not a professional, though, when I have been asked about which size of canvas is good for digital art, I usually recommend them to find some illustrations on the internet that have the quality they want to follow, and download them to examine the size of the image.
There are the artworks have an image size more than 8000px even though they’re just doodles. But a masterpiece like ‘The creation of Adam’ is still a masterpiece even if you resize them small under 1000px. (In short, A large canvas doesn’t mean a good quality of painting.)
(Although there is a recommended minimum of the size of the canvas, like above 600px, unless you want to do pixel-art)

For my case, if you’re curious, I usually start drawing on the canvas setting about 2000 x 2000px, or a little bigger or smaller than that. I only use a canvas larger than 4K (around 4000px) when I need to draw for a competition or printing.

So to get back to what was actually being asked here: if you’re having trouble with downscaled images being too soft, you could try doing the resize in steps, and running a slight sharpen in between. So e.g. 6000x6000 → 4000x4000 → unsharp mask → 2000x2000 → unsharp mask. Careful not to overdo the sharpen.

I don’t like sharpening, my drawings look fine without it. I think they look better without a shred of sharpen.

I use larger sizes as my drawings are very simple and don’t call for any special tools (basic and eraser are all I use) or many layers. How many layers is “many layers” exactly? My computer works okay with what I currently do. I’m not having any problems with a large file besides a bit of rare lag. I often work with dimensions larger than 6000x6000, my latest finished drawing is 9000x4000 with 5 layers, not much lag. Quite simple.

On my side I can have hundred of layers on 7000x5000 documents :sweat_smile:

Yes so, what’s the exact problem you encounter?

I’m still not sure to understand the question of “'what happen when you don’t resize the image” :man_shrugging:

Grum999

Hundreds of layers?! Who needs that? I’m not really having a problem, only asking what happens when I don’t resize when saving for the web. I just don’t see who needs hundreds of layers now, since even my most complicated stuff only have 5 layers. Sure, drawings can get complicated, but do any of them need hundreds of layers?

Apology for my Wall of Text. Other apology for my Dumb Question, I’m just getting started with this whole thing.

Me :slight_smile:
And I think here I’m not the only one :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

But Ok that’s not the subject.

The question is not “dumb”, if you ask it there might be something somewhere that you don’t understand.
That’s just in fact, I’m not understanding what you don’t understand and need help for :slight_smile:

In my mind, if you don’t resize the image, then you just have a large image.
That’s all :man_shrugging:

After, if you want to post large image on some internet site:

• There’s often limitation in allowed dimension and file size (on Krita-artist I think maximum allowed size might be 4K images with 3MB)
    – If the limitation is not blocking, that’s possible that the hosting site will resize and/or compress image
  • For people with slow and/or limited internet connection, they might not be able to download the image (or might not have patience to wait for hours to download one image)

Grum999

1 Like

Theoretically everything could be done on just one layer but when you look at other artists works on this site, like mine for example, you maybe get an idea why lots of layers are sometimes used, especially when you want to work non-destructive.

2 Likes