Which parts to upgrade for better performance?

I have recently got a new (to me, ie. used) PC running the latest Kubuntu and Krita 5.0. I’m not very satisfied with the performance (in general, but Krita most critically), but I don’t know what part(s) of the computer is the bottleneck to address. The specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M3
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB X 2 (32 GB total)
Display: Wacom Cintiq 24 HD 1920x1200
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (using the proprietary NVIDIA Linux driver)
Storage: HyperX Predator SSD 240GB M.2

This is a few years old, but still sounds pretty good to me. So I’m kind of bummed that I’m getting worse performance in Krita than I used to with a lesser-spec’ed PC a couple of years ago.

Any suggestion on how I can identify possible bottlenecks or is there something obvious that sticks out as a good candidate for upgrade?

1 Like

It can’t be the specifications, if anything it’s a misconfiguration.
The only point where I get a “toothache” is the size of the mass storage, that’s how much I allow my Linux VM with SUSE-Tumbleweed, it only runs Krita, Double-Commander and Firefox as well as Opera and a card game, if you have possibly chosen an unfavorable partitioning on the SSD, it could become a bottleneck.
If you can afford it, then buy a bigger SSD on which you can store the user data and the swap file of Krita, so you relieve the system SSD. But otherwise the system is fine.

Michelist

1 Like

Well that CPU has only 4 cores, if I googled it correctly, but its very fast. Mine has a lower clock speed but 12 cores, Krita can take a lot of CPU with some operations but even on my old workstation with a similar CPU than yours, I didn’t have any noticeable performance issues.

Other than that, your rig is still very powerful, have you checked the performance settings in Krita? I think by default Krita is only allowed to use about 50% of system resources.

Could just as well be an issue with the OS itself. I remember being unsatisfied with *buntus in general in the past and switched to other distros, currently using Manjaro since many years and I’m happy with it.

1 Like

You can technically monitor what exactly is the bottleneck by recording your system performance realtime. Then once you know what your issue is, then you can go about improving it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies!

How would I go about analizing the system to figure out where there’s a bottleneck (if any)?

1 Like

Is there any particular operation that seems to be laggy compared to how you remember it? e.g painting with a large brush tip, using blending brushes, etc?

Can you try a comparison using an older version appimage from here:

Try atop , it is pretty decent for highlighting where the bottleneck issues are.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.