Animating a bouncing ball in Krita

I recorded a video about animating the bouncing ball exercise:

Though it is very basic I hope it helps to start with Krita animation.
I exported the PNG sequence later to do some post-processing and rendered a video later with DaVinci Resolve.

2 Likes

Hi @tmolnar

You must be becoming popular because spammers are commenting on your video with links to internet dating sites :slight_smile:

That was a good overview of how to do a basic bouncing ball animation in krita.

As a useful ‘assistant’, you can draw the path of the ball on a paint layer to give a guide for positioning and also draw small ‘interval’ marks on it for a timing guide.

The sound quality is good now with no background or signal noise.

I don’t think you should feel any need to apologise for any lack of ‘artistic’ ability or experience. Anybody who makes a useful tutorial video is putting in a lot of work and doing a big favour to everyone else.

Please keep making them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI @AhabGreybeard

Thank you for your comment! The spambots are horribly active lately, most of the comments are flagged as spam automatically by the system, but unfortunately some of them can sneak into the comments section. I report them constantly.

The “assistant” layer is a very great idea, a lot of planning and timing could be calculated on it. I am a horrible animator, but it is very fun so I like to do it. :slight_smile:

I found the golden settings for my microphone, it work very well now and I don’t have to “lean in” to be closer to it, so my speaking is more natural. I have to work on my pace and word usage. No problem, I watch Stephen Pinker videos and public talks. :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice animation!
Is it possible to select, copy, paste, edit the ball for each frame? Would that be easier? Back when I did an animation in Gimp, that’s how I did it and taught my son that way too.

Thank you!

I could not use the same circle for the ball because of the stretch and squash phenomenon. If I did it, it would look like a bowling ball falling down. As far as I know in 2D animation they rarely use the same image for multiple frames because it looks unnatural. Maybe for some in-betweens when they use every frame in 24fps.

I will ask my animator friends about it.

2 Likes

Yes, when you’re doing it that way, you’d move the object slightly as needed and make appropriate changes (such as squashing) so that it looks as natural as possible. :+1:t2:

For keeping the proper volume of the subject in straight ahead animation it could help. I fired up the question in an animator community, let’s see the answers. I assume copying and adjusting something is a wise idea along using the onion skins. It could save some time and effort, really.

1 Like

So professional traditional animators re-use frames at a certain amount. I was told that Disney back in the day used Snow White frames for Robin Hood, and they used parts of their drawings in the same movie as well, but it must be balanced well, because it gives a certain look to the animation.

1 Like

When falling freely in air, a ball does not stretch or distort in any way, even if it’s a soft and floppy ball.
(When falling from a great eight and reaching a high velcocity a soft and floppy ball might distort because of air resistance pressure on the side closest to the ground.)

That stretching thing is some kind of ‘traditional’ cartoony convention to make things look more ‘animated and active’, probably going back to the days of Steamboat Willy.

2 Likes

With right-click → Create Duplicate Frame (F8), a keyframe is created that is a copy of the previous keyframe in that animated layer.
(If you do that on a non-animated layer, the image content of the paint layer becomes a keyframe of an animated layer.)

Then you can use the Move tool (or any tool) on the content of the newly created duplicate frame.

2 Likes