Assistance for colour-blind artists

hi im sure its been asked before - im new to digital art programs - last time i did any art was over 35
years back.

i am colour blind, in that i can see certain colours but can’t name them and struggle to pick them
again - could there be a way to pick colours from a pallete that has the colour identified with a text flag
so you have red colour patch and the word red at the side of it,
so when you pick that colour it brings up a subset of variations around the
picked color. at the moment i set up a colour patch layer where i put colours i can’t name and then
i use the pickup tool to sample that colour. but it’s a pain sampling and the setting the brush back.

im sure there are many many people who are similar to me. it will take some thought over how to implenment it. - perhaps it’s already there and i havent seen it yet, only been using for a week or so.

thanks in advance

1 Like

The color palette in Krita already has some naming, unfortunately not in all the palettes. So far only “Default” and “Markers” seem to have named colors and the Markers palette only has them named after the color codes I know from my Copic markers. You can see the name by selecting them or in the mouse over text (which I was unable to capture on a screenshot for some reason).

I only knew one other artist with color blindness (had trouble with red and green). He used the color chanels to understand how much of a base color was present in the current color and for selecting colors.

Not optimal, I have to admit. But maybe it can help you too.

I think more assistance for color blind and other visual impaired artists would be a great addition. But it isn’t easy to come up with solutions for that. I could imagine that in your case it would be useful to have a docker that shows the channels all the time or a info box floating next to the cursor?

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

In each palette, the colour swatches/squares do have a text name but this is often “Untitled” or just blank.
Also, the text tool tip for the name when you hover the cursor over it does not update quickly or easily if you move from a named colour to a colour that does not have a name.

It would be possible to make a palette that had each colour named but then it’s a question of deciding on suitable names. e.g. one of the colours in the default palette is called “timberwolf” which is imaginative but not helpful.

So, a palette could be made that has groups of various shades of red, green, blue, cyan, etc. each with a name. I suppose some naming convention could be adopted for different shades/tones or maybe a numerical system if you go away from the pure or simply desaturated colours.

Have you found any systems or conventions anywhere else that are intended to deal with this problem?

A naming system I’ve seen once, but I can’t remember in which Program it was, the colors just got named after the RGB Channels. The Program didn’t even allowed for unnamed colors. If you didn’t enter a name it would automatically name them R230-G003-B056 or whatever the value of the colors were. I kinda miss this a bit in Krita. Also not great but with a bit of learning you can already tell from the code that this is some red-isch color.

2 Likes

Oh yes, a default name that is the RGB values. Can this be made into a formal change proposal?

1 Like

i had tinkered on this idea before but the naming convention to choose is really a problem because there really are a bunch of naming conventions out there.

there is even a site that wants to name all the colors in the rgb but i think that will not be very usefull as there are just too many colors and the names become a bit silly like voldemort green.

It definitely can be. It might need some discussion but I doubt that anyone would be really against it and it looks like it can be helpful for some group. Also it doesn’t even need to be actually named (inside the file), it just needs the label to say what the base colors are (for every color space different).

2 Likes

What about hex codes with a shorter size to be humanly readable? Well instead of real names.

In pigmento you can adjust that coding system of hex to the amount of stops desired independent of the color. then I guess I could assist the display of it somewhere? :upside_down_face: And a hsx something hex could be better? I don’t know I am just shooting ideas.

Hex is shorter and although I can read hex like it is base 10, I experienced that non programmers and other folks struggle with it and understand normal decimal better :grin:.

1 Like

How about something like #361010 ?
36 divisions for hue
10 divisions for saturation
10 divisions for value/lightness ?

Perhaps another sign beyond cardinal would be best?
&361010 ?
People would get confused for sure with the cardinal and think it is a hex code and copy paste it and it would not work.

It would not be very exact but it would give you a sense on space.

Or instead do extra padding and go &360100100

Would this be the RGB code (or whatever format) in addition to any name for the colour swatch? Maybe underneath any name in the tool tip.
If so, that would be good because it wouldn’t need any changes to the existing palette code and a useful/meaningful name could still be given if desired.

Hi thank you for your response - its all new to me so its going to take me awhile to get used to
the interface - ther will always be a work around i was just looking for an easy solution i guess.

Hi, thank you for the response. this is the first software i have ever used for digital art
so have no reference. colours have always been a problem for me and has kept me from
the kind of work normally open to persons who have good or perfect colour vision.

If you haven’t used digital art software at all before then there will be a steep learning curve with the tools and the interface. There’s the manual which is very well written and useful:

There are also many YouTube tutorials that are aimed at beginners.

If you have any confusion or questions then you can create a topic here to ask about it of course.

For the colour aspect being a problem for you, I have three suggestions:

1. Open an image that you like or you feel would be useful to study and use the Colour Selector Tool to pick colours from it and see what they are in terms of their RGB value on the Tool Options docker and where they appear on the Advanced Colour Selector. (My screenshot utility has replaced the Colour Selector Tool icon with a default system cursor icon):

1. Use the ‘Web’ palette which has every colour swatch named as its (R, G, B) value. The arrangement of colours on it seems to be technical rather that artistic but it’s the only palette I know that has swatches named as their RGB values:

Web Palette

1. This may go against your aims but you could consider painting in greyscale and bypass the problem. There are two fine examples of greyscale artwork on the featured artworks along the top of the forum main page.

Please report as wishlist :slight_smile:

Also regarding suggestions about hex code (because it’s shorter) - I think it would be a bit difficult to understand. I’m a programmer and I don’t really want to calculate it in my mind when using palettes, and I expect actual artists to be even less willing. Regarding HSV: that’s much more useful, but it wouldn’t solve the color blindness problem in my opinion, since they would have to remember H values for color areas from the color wheel. With RGB, they don’t need to remember that except for maybe that R + G gives yellow, G + B gives you teal, B + R gives you purples and pinks. But that’s easier than “hmm H 30% is this color”.

1 Like

@tiar Wishlist bug report:

And an associated UI/UX bug report to keep you busy :slight_smile:

As @halla has already and very quickly commented, this may be built into Qt and so may be difficult to resolve.

Due to QT behaviour, it may not be possible to fix the UI/UX bug or implement the Wishlist bug.

The following should be possible and may be useful.

Develop a utility/application that takes a palette file (or a folder full of palette files) and opens them, parses them and processes them and rewrites (or outputs modified versions) a follows:

If a swatch name is “Untitled” or is blank, set the name to ({R}, {G}, {B}).

If a swatch name is “some-name”, set the name to "some-name ({R}, {G}, {B}).

A user could take palettes that do not have (R,G,B) names and then convert them to that form.
This wouldn’t work for the default resources palettes but they could be copied and processed and then used as personal resources. I think that would best be done as a one-time process by a volunteer then made available as a bundle.

We’re in a rapidly evolving enviroment here.
Both bugs are now Resolved and the results should be in the nightly builds, soon.