19 Likes

A frame

6 Likes

Trying a few more brushes and pretending to be Bob Ross

3 Likes

A bit of skin and hair practice

3 Likes

My interpretation of Sup! by @HappyPinecone

I hope it’s ok… it says ‘Draw this in your own style’ in the topic. :slight_smile:

Not quite finished, but I don’t have time to work more on it.

Thanks a lot to @kynlo, @stitchpunk and @Lynx3d for helping out.

4 Likes

Well done @Bleke :+1:t2: Great how much you’re really making this image your own … a really good personal interpretation. Always fun seeing how many unique interpretations come out of those ‘draw it in your own style’ challenges, and @HappyPinecone’s image is great.

Impressed too with how you’ve done the fabrics and folds; can tell you looked very carefully at those details. I’m still not 100% sure about the hand/contrast with her face … to offer a bolder feedback, that could help with future paintings; in a painting of mine tbh I’d probably place the hand/pose so the hand was deliberately casting a soft-edged shadow across part of the face, as that always makes things really ‘pop’, depending on if that’s the effect you want. Then slightly adjusting the light and darks on the face/hand would be easier too, as can doing a greyscale study first, especially if you draw a bright dot for where the light is coming from, then put white where the highlights are, and see which pose/lighting ‘pops’ the most. Always paintings and drawings teach something, which is really exciting, and you’re doing a great job with this! :smiley: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks! It seems that some hair layers ended up on top of her index finger and making it less clear. I didn’t want the contrast to be too great because it should look like the hand has basically the same colour as the face.

I did try the shadow thing, but the raytracing algorithm overloaded my processing unit so it doesn’t look as great as it should.

Fixed the hair thing:

3 Likes

Whoa! She looks awesome! I like the colors, and I definitely like that smile :grin:. How you manipulated the folds is also good!

1 Like

Unanimous that you’ve done an awesome job; well done! Looks really great in b/w too! :smiley: :+1:t2: :partying_face: :trophy:

1 Like

Very nice work @Bleke. I really like the variety of styles in these giraffe s

1 Like

@HappyPinecone Thanks! :slight_smile: The folds thing is a quite newly acquired skill. For the longest time I didn’t think I could do it at all. Still got plenty to learn, but just managing these first small steps is huge for me.

@stitchpunk Thanks again! :slight_smile:

@naloe Thanks! Giraffes are funny creatures and fun to draw too.

1 Like

It looks good!
It is hard to do bob Ross style, I tried yet I had oil paints and was trying to follow along with him and well that is when I decided to make my own style(I did make one good Boss Ross painting) that mimicking others was not for, well I will mimic Van Gogh a little.

That is cool!

Thanks! I’m kind of pleased with the idea of using a simple frame as a portal between worlds. :slight_smile: Some of the execution is a bit lackluster though.

It sounds fun to try doing a Bob Ross painting with real oil paints! I don’t think the idea is to copy him slavishly, just pick up some techniques and inspiration and use it in your own way.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, a little lackluster but still very cool!

Yeah copying him doesn’t work out that well, I did learn though from the experience, my friend can mimic him very well and so I thought I would give it a try when we had a paint and hang out day.

1 Like

3 Likes

I like the way you progress the drawing of Sir Anthony Hopkins. Shows how every artist goes through many iterations to learn from their experience and ultimately become a better artist for it.

1 Like

Oh! Is it sir Hopkins? I thought it was just another one of those anonymous beauty models. :slight_smile:

This method is quite new to me. Previously when I’ve done photo studies I’ve had the reference up all the time and spent hours on rendering. The result turned out pretty good but I never felt that I learned that much from them.

Tracing a photo like this is much quicker and feels almost like taking notes during a lecture. Then you can turn the photo layer on and off to see how the lines you’ve made relate to features in the original.
Then hide both tracing and photo layers and try to recreate it from memory. I found that I had most problems drawing the outline of the head.

I’m hoping that this is a more efficient way to train observational skills. I’ll try it out for a while.

I typically look at large blocks of space and try to organize them in my mind. So If the original was an 8x10 photo and the portrait filled up about 6x8 of it, then I try to recreate a canvas aspect ratio of 8x10, even if it is just a box inside a canvas, then I try to picture the aspect ration of 6x8 inside that for the main shapes , then I decompose the image in that way going forward. Firs the size of the head in relation to the space and so on. Its something I do for canvas paintings as well. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much but its the way I feel most comfortable. Adding a little math science to the art :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure I follow… do you mean that you use a grid?