Blue Screen of Death

I’ve been using Krita for several months now. Sure it lags sometimes but that’s fine. In the past two weeks, Krita keeps crashing my entire computer giving me the blue screen of death. I cannot get any of my university animation work done or any other artwork.

Krita is the only program that is doing this. Any help would be appreciated

Hi

Reason to get a BSOD in windows are multiple, but are usually related to an hardware failure…

One thing for example could be an access to a corrupted memory block. As a software like Krita can use a huge amount of RAM, it can reach some invalid memory block (if some exists) faster than other type of software…

Usually, when it occurs, you have an error message like this:

Without having the exact message it’s difficult to help

Grum999

Yes, @Grum999 is right. I would first use a memory checker to check your hardware’s health: https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/ gives details.

I deleted Krita and downloaded the latest version and it’s still doing it. I did manage to catch the error code however.

Hi

Problem seems relative to your nvidia graphic card
you should try to uninstall drivers, download latest version of nvidia drivers, and reinstall them

also, did the problem occurs at krita’s start-up ? when a new document is created ? or after a while ?

Grum999

You can also try to use benchmark tools or other software that use the graphic card, you might have the same problem I think :thinking:

Grum999

I heard that the best to use for krita is at least 16 GB RAM (8 GB RAM can do it pretty good).
if you got it already, try turning of some windows on your computer. (better to open ‘task manager’ to see which program takes a lot of your CPU).

Hi

The error message is explicit: it’s a NVidia driver failure… or at least an hardware problem with the NVidia graphic card
So closing some windows won’t change anything to the problem.

The first thing to do is to update drivers and see if problem is still here or not after drivers have been updated.

Grum999

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.