Call for Testing: MyPaint Brush Engine

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a MyPaint brush engine for quite a while now. It lets you use MyPaint brushes on Krita and also edit them. It seems to work fine mostly but we don’t know if that is actually the case. It would be great if someone can test it and provide feedback.

Here is a link to an appimage package: https://yadi.sk/d/_EW4t2wjyaRGrQ

For installing new brushes you can unzip to or move the brushes to “usr/share” folder or you can also use the default presets which come preinstalled.

You can select the installed MyPaint brushes from the preset chooser. Something like this.

4 Likes

Hi @ashwin,

Thank you very much for working on this. For some reason I always found mypaints pencil brushes very comfortable and with this I can sketch with those pencils in Krita itself.

I am testing you app image and here are some preliminary issues that I found.

• Some brushes behave erratically when drawing shapes such as ellipse. For example the 1 pixel brush, 2b pencil brush. Take a look at the ellipse drawn from 2b pencil here.

• Might be related to the above bug, but when drawing strokes too fast the brush seems to feel like it is tied down and draws heavily optimised strokes. Like you get when you have weighted smoothing enabled. The brushes to test 2b pencil, marker fat for example. Just draw big rapid circular strokes and you will notice it.

• It would be great to have a Tag associated with all the my paint brush to filter them out.

• This is a serious one. All the new water colour brushes made by @RamonM seem to have problem with their brush tip. Instead of painting the mask they now have black and white image as their dab thus making them weird and buggy. These brushes are made by pixel brush engine of Krita I don’t know how my paint engine is affecting these. You can try the “j) Water C” series of brushes. This happens only in this app image and not on the master branch.

I will be testing more and I will update the list here. Thank you once again for working on this.
I think I should ping @Deevad and @RamonM too, since they have worked in making official mypaint brushes so they can test the behaviour more thoroughly than me.

2 Likes

Hmm, the appimage is based on 4.3.1 not on master. Perhaps that might be the reason. Will look into it.
Thanks for testing :slight_smile:

The water colour brushes work correctly in 4.3

1 Like

I hope you fix soon the mypaint brushengine issues. if Mypaint brushes break the Krita’s brushes, then is a big serious problem becouse fixing them is not easy . I remember the change from Krita4.1 mode to “creamy” mode. It was complex to create watercolor untill i understood the way to do it.

Be careful, but is a good job because some dynamics in mypaint are not available in Krita. By the way the brushes are really old. I am curious to see users feedback.

1 Like

Hello Everyone!
I tried your appimage and first of all, it works great. On the canvas, there were no issues so far, but on the scratchpad in the brush editor all brushes that would smudge or blend color either behave like erasers or do nothing. I am using Kubuntu 20.04. I hope this is easy to fix! I think you did a good job so far.

Afaik, this is a bug that briefly snuck into the stable branch and was quickly fixed, however, Ashwin may have accidentally chosen that hotspot as the point at which to split off.

Can this appimage be used safely alongside my main one?

Yes, I guess.

1 Like

Is there any way that we can test it in Windows? I want to see how it is.

I’m actually a bit worried that the brush engine in krita is getting more and more complex for devs to maintatin as the development goes, but it’s not our place to complain I guess.

Fortunately, Krita’s brush engines are independent of each other. Each engine is a separate, self-contained plugin. Some engines are quite complicated, like the smudge brush, others really are very simple, like the spray or hatching engine.

1 Like

Hi, I been trying this test version and works great, but I dont know why the nightly builds dont show MyPaint brushes even though they are supposedly already merged into the master. Thanks

I messed up… And broke it. So we’re trying to fix that now.

3 Likes

Still waiting for the MyPaint brush engine on Windows. I have been looking for a new nightly build with MyPaint brush for the last few days.

It would take some time I think, the developers are fixing things,

1 Like