Can the pop up palette be used as a floating docker?

Is there any way that the pop up palettle can be used in a docker like mode ?
Let’s assume I am working in the full screen mode.
Now I want to keep only the pop up palette open and floating as a docker,so I can easily access colours,brush sets and few other options from that.
Is it possible ?

Why don’t you use the Plugin “Kanvas Buddy” by @Kapyia? With it you have color picker, palette, presets, layers and much more available on the canvas, and this even with an interface which is much smaller than the popup palette. By the way, the topic also explains how you can extend the plugin yourself, I think it’s worth reading.
But watch out! If you want to use Kanvas Buddy with Krita 5.x.x you have to adapt it with the patch presented by @SchrodingerCat here.

After installing Kanvas Buddy in Krita and quitting Krita, you have to download the patch, unzip it and apply it. With the files included in the patch archive (kbpresetchooser.py, data. json) you have to overwrite their counterparts in the installed KanvasBuddy directory, which you can find in Krita’s resource subfolder named “pykrita” (on Windows this would be “c:\Users\YOUR-WINDOWS-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\krita\pykrita\kanvasbuddy”, on Linux and macOS you have to adjust the path structure, but it is also there under “…/krita/pykrita/kanvasbuddy/”). After applying the patch, you can start Krita, and KanvasBuddy should work (as before in Krita 4.x.x).

Short version for Krita 5.x.x:
Download and install Kanvas Buddy and quit Krita (download link from GitHub);
Download patch from here (opens Google Drive page with the patch) and unzip;
using your file manager, open the path to Kanvas Buddy in Krita’s resource folder ("…\krita\pykrita\kanvasbuddy" or “…/krita/pykrita/kanvasbuddy/”) and copy the contents of the unzipped archive there, overwriting the existing “kbpresetchooser.py” and “data.json” files;
Done, if you start Krita 5.x.x now Kanvas Buddy works here too.

Michelist

Add: If you are on Windows and can not access your Krita Resource Folder, you have to enable the view of hidden files and folders like in this description:

Thanks for the detailed explanation,tips and links @Michelist :slight_smile: !
I will surely try this out,when Krita 5 will come out as a stable version.
Mainly because right now, I am using Krita 5 beta versions more than I am using Krita 4 + versions.
So far beta versions are working quite well for me and I have created a well equipped working model inside Krita 5 beta versions.
Now if the Kanvasbuddy does not work well inside krita 5 beta versions and things get messy,then I will have to start from zero again.
So few months ago,I had installed Kamvasbuddy in krita 4+ versions.
It was working quite decently,but personally I love the krita pop up palette docker more and find it more practical & user friendly compared to the current version of kamvasbuddy.
Specially the colour wheel,rotaion dial and other small things are the unique side of pop up palette.
Being honest it is even better than the options available in autodesk sketchbook,Artrage or some paid plug in available for PS.
Personally I find Krita pop up tool as a very powerful option and wishing if there was a way to use it as standard proper docker,rather than clicking everytime when I want to access it.
That’s all :slight_smile: !

It works beautifully in all Krita 5.x.x versions, you just need to patch it.
Unfortunately @Kapyia seems to have discontinued support for this plugin, and therefore it has been necessary to patch it for use in Krita 5.x.x, this has nothing to do with the pre-release status of the Plus and Beta versions, you need to patch it for use in any Krita 5 version.

Michelist

1 Like

Thanks.
I have installed it in krita 5 beta 2 without any trouble.
Thanks for the patch tip.
Till there is a pop up palette like docker available for krita 5,I will try to manage with this :slight_smile: !

1 Like