Clones array, a mini-tutorial

edit : enhanced version, thanks to the advice of raghukamath and tiar

Hi all !

Krita is full of useful features, and I’m very happy when I stumble upon a new one.

So I want to introduce you to a fancy tool that you have probably never heard of, and deserves more love: clones array

First, where can we find it ? :

And it’s look like this :

(I refer you to the documentation for more details on each components)

Now, how can this be useful ?
Here’s an example.

Let’s say you have a building, and you want to add windows.

Create a window shape on a separate layer and place it in a group.

Then clone the group (right click on group>add>clone layer)
04_2

With the clone layer selected, go in layer>split>clones array and play with the properties

Please note that it automatically creates a distance value, based on the size of your object. If you want more or less spacing between each element, you will have to play with these values.
A small precision on the two values " - elements" and “+elements”.
They represent the number of copies on an XY grid.
So in a very basic way for the columns:
-elements : copy to the left
+elements: copy to the right
for the rows :
-elements: copy up
+elements: copy down

You end up with something like that in your layers docker :

Make a group with everything that is outlined in red, and add a transform mask on this group (right click>add>transform mask)

With this transform mask, you can adjust the placement later as much as you like.

Now, the fun part. Get back to the very first group you created wich contains the window drawing. Since it’s a group, you can change whatever you want in it, the result will be automatically transposed to its clones.
For instance, change the window model or add a paint layer like so :

(please note that it can be laggy )

And voila :

Obviously it’s only a flat surface, but you can use it for background elements, or construct a guide for more complex stuff.

I hope you will find it useful. I haven’t seen much info about this tool (except the documentation, and the release article).
Or maybe everyone but me knew this thing ! :smiley:

Feel free to correct it if you find errors or inaccuracies :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Lovely mini-tutorial :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Excellent tutorial. :+1:

It is is also possible to add the original and the array inside a group layer and add a transform mask to it. to preserve the original and arrays so that you can paint or make changes to it later.

3 Likes

Would be awesome if you showed how one can color all the images at once later when they have the clones array. From your tutorial it doesn’t really show the advantage of using clone layers instead of standard duplicates of paint layers.

However it’s cool nonetheless, showing off a feature that is less known. Can I post a link to this tutorial on reddit?

1 Like

Thanks ! I was not aware of any of this !

If you don’t mind I’ll rewrite my post a bit adding this information, and then you will be able to share a more colorful tutorial.
Indeed, it’s important to show how flexible these tools can be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I made an improved version :slight_smile:
(I can always change things later, of course)

Thanks all !

2 Likes