Color that is not a color but a reference to one

How about a color that is a reference like 1 or 2 or 3 instead of a (0.2, 0.6, 0.5) vector directly. And this reference number would instead refer to the vector on a menu.

You could have as much reference colors as you want so to speak or like 10 or something per project or something.

Imagine your painting with reference 2, all that paint will act as reference 2=(vector color 2) until you changed the vector color 2 color into another one changing everything in the painting with that color.

This means you can have 2 reference colors with the same color and still act apart.

Case usages. Especially in animation. Ensures that the color is always the same as long as you use the reference color and if you change it it will affect the entire project on a frames ensuring stability of the color selected. This means even if it does not mix or blend it would still be usable with a very define use case.

If it is possible to re render the mix and blend to other color it would allow to help with character design and test variant colors on certain sections making variations easier without distorting colors with a filter using a bad color space.

So it maybe be called that color with a given shortcut or something like press ctrl+2 to select reference color 2 or something.

This would be similar to how vectors change colors in an entire group at one but in this case it would be in pixels.

That is what an indexed color mode does: you have an ordered set of colors (a palette) and each pixel stores an index that refers to one of those colors instead of a color in itself. But krita doesn’t have such a mode.

You can make cool things with that mode as you said, and as they did in the 8/16 bit consoles, but there are a lot of limitations. For example, how would you deal with antialiasing, smudging colors, blur or any effect that should mix colors? If you only have a closed set of colors, trying to use a color that is not in the set, would derive in having to find the closest color in the set to use or something like that, which is expensive.

You can always propose a new layer type, “pixel art layer” or “paletized layer” which has an associated palette and the colors painted adapt to it. Or maybe you can already do that with the paletize filter.

2 Likes

I would not mind it being a new type of layer or something like that and have the options of that layer open the list of colors.

concerning the math I was kinda thinking something on the realms of:

Reference colors:

rc1 = [rc1[0], rc1[1], rc1[2]]
rc2 = [rc2[0], rc2[1], rc2[2]]

Color of pixel with A = Antialising factor for that reference color at that pixel

pixel = [
    pixel[0]+A1*rc1[0]+A2*rc2[0],
    pixel[1]+A1*rc1[1]+A2*rc2[1],
    pixel[2]+A1*rc1[2]+A2*rc2[2]
     ]

I use “+” here very loosely. straight up this might not work but it was what was on my mind to start with.

it would feel more like a imprinted operation considering the variables on that pixel when painted and then it would solve to new variables if they changed as it would conserve the parts of the blending on the brush to solve again later on.

I know it might be very expensive to have such a thing yes :frowning:

You mean something like this?

No, that is kind of an emulation of indexed color images, which is what I meant in the last line of my comment.
In the text you quoted I meant this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexed_color