Do you use Resource Manager?

Similar topic to the tagging one. I’m working on it and I’m trying to gather some input.

I have some polls for you. Please do tell me if I haven’t include some possibility!
I was checking on the idea how to glue different dialogs together and my discussion came to a point where someone suggested to just not use the Resource Manager at all since all the functionality is elsewhere.

• No, I don’t use Resource Manager, I prefer to use their respectable dockers (or I don’t import resources at all)
  • Yes, I do use it to import brushes and patterns etc.
  • Yes, I do use it but only to activate/deactivate bundles or to import bundles. I don’t manage my brushes or other resources this way. I prefer to use their respectable dockers (or I don’t import other resources except from bundles at all).

0 voters

I was thinking about making the Resource Manager more capable of things. Notably, I wanted to make it possible to:

• see all resources divided by their type
  • delete multiple resources at once
  • tag and untag multiple resources at once
    Note that bundle creation and activating/deactivating will be done elsewhere, not in Resource Manager, or at least, it doesn’t have to be, so in this case please don’t select “I will use Resource Manager” if you still want to only manage bundles.
  • No, I still prefer using respectable dockers to import resources/I don’t import resources at all.
  • I would use it only if it was the only way to tag multiple resources; if it can be done elsewhere, for example in the Brush Presets docker, I would prefer to use the docker.
  • Yes, I will be using Resource Manager if it allowed to see all resources, delete resources, tag multiple resources etc.

0 voters

What do you think? Note that the results of this poll don’t guarantee we will follow it; it’s just a beginning of a discussion. Especially the tagging one; I need to find a way to tag multiple resources because it seems needed, but if the Resource Manager is removed, I don’t know how should I implement this at all… Brush Presets docker is not exactly suitable for that (even if it would be technically possible to implement this). So when in doubt, create a poll :slight_smile:

EDIT
Another one! :smiley:

• To import resources I use Krita’s GUI (resource manager or dockers)
  • To import resources I put them in the resource folder
  • To import resources I use the resource folder but only because the current GUI is inconvenient to use or buggy or I haven’t found a way to do it in the GUI

0 voters

2 Likes

You haven’t mentioned making bundles as one of the uses that you list.

As for importing resources, I may be in a minority but I ‘import’ resources by copying them into the appropriate subfolders in the krita folder. I only use the Resources Manager for enabling/disabling bundles because that’s the only place you can do that.

Brushes, presets, palettes etc are easy to manage in this way. It’s the tags that are complicated (in practice) and seem to cause most problems for people.

1 Like

To me it never seemed a good idea to modify the resource folder manually, given that there’s all kinds of auto-generated files that probably don’t want to overwrite by accident, and being hidden in ~.local/share also screams “don’t mess with me unless you know what you’re doing”.

But I prefer to import individual patterns, palettes etc. where I’m going to use them anyway. Didn’t have a need to import a whole load of different resources at once yet.

The main purpose of the current resource manager seems to be managing bundles, so that’s what I use it for, although I always found it odd that it doesn’t offer a way to delete bundles.

I forgot to ask about the resource folder! :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone for participating!

1 Like

We should link this poll to other places too. may be twitter reddit and other platforms

1 Like

I use Krita also on Android, so I’m adding a note for that platform: as each Android app is isolated in it’s own sandbox, we can’t add resources directly to the folder, it needs to be done from inside of Krita.

Currently, I don’t know what to answer. I just need the way to export/import group of brushes, edit/delete brushes in the group with ensure that all will going on as should be.

Since there is no other options besides tags in krita to sort brushes, make bundles by tags would be really helpful. But work of resource manager should be more stable and clear.

First times I made a bundle to backup/export brush groups, but after brushes started to disappear or changes in preset wasn’t save after krita restart I began to make full backup of krita user folder.

So I will glad any options in resource manager or elsewhere that will help to make sturdy manipulations with presets.

I only use the resource folders really.

All those autogenerated files I am constantly deleting by hand because. That is really a problem in my mind.

Making another file just to say another one is deleted instead of acctually deleting it is a waste, that is why I end up going in the folder manually to delete everyting properly instead of managing thought the menus.

Or saving over a previous file and it creates a duplicate file that has random code and you can only identify it by the time code of creation, that is another big issue, that is another big mark for me to go after and delete.

Autodesk’s Maya has a really cool thing that it allows you to create a enviroment path folder anywhere on any disk and inside you can place anything you want envolving your resources. I am a fan of that because I can make my folder system on my portable hard drive instead of being forced on a system folder that is hidden by default.

I acctually hate to work on stuff on system folders because if I need reinstall for some random reason my work is not forgotten by mistake inside a hidden windows folder or due to a install, sometimes clean install are a good thing to do. Not to mention making backups with synctoy becomes a single operation and not having to sync to my working drive and syncing to the backup drive after too.

To me Maya really is the best one managing its enviroment folders it is worth a look if you need inspiration.

1 Like

Yep, I feel the same as @EyeOdin. Those autogenerated brushes only confuse and make a mess in mind while sorting/editing a presets.

@EyeOdin does it mean that the largest problem for you (except for non-custom resource folder) is that you get duplicated brushes and auto-generated files in the resource folder? If so, I have two questions:

• Is it possible to make the Resource Manager GUI work in a way that you won’t need to go to the resource folder?
  • If so, would those duplicated brushes be still a problem for you (i.e. because of memory)? What if there was a way to delete them from Krita’s GUI or even one button to automatically clean unused resources?

@I9S the same questions for you. Note there will be no mess in Krita’s GUI, just the resource folder itself. And yeah, we try to make a system that won’t bug out on every turn of the road. :wink:

The backend for resources is already done, and it started way before I came to the team (in ~2015). It was designed to be fool-proof - which means that it doesn’t delete anything, only make a new copy of a brush. In Krita’s GUI it looks like the deleted brush was deleted, but it’s just hidden, and it works similarly with changing or renaming brushes (there is a new copy created with the changes, and the old one is hidden).

The new system uses a database to store all the information to not load resources unnecessarily. The database holds tags and names and images and whether the resource is “active” (visible to the user) or not (“deleted”, but can be undeleted later), but doesn’t store the actual resource. So while the blacklisting files won’t be used now, duplicating of brushes will still happen.

1 Like

well if I know each file is a single entity and not a interconnected web with dependencies I would probably not think about it as much. I would only enter to save backups most probably if that was the case. That is why a environment path is so cool you install set it up and then you don’t think about it ever, it is already in your back up location.

I know this is weird to say but I feel like it is making “Dirty Files”, it is not so much for the memory it takes because they are pretty small, but they can become too many too fast. That area should be resources of the user and I like my stuff clean and organized for later use. If there was a button to clean everything automatically it I would probably press that all the time XD!!! But I kinda prefer having to go to the recycle bin for my mistakes than having 20 files that become unusable unless you know what is keeping them hidden, versioning should be explicitly shown I guess.

all through the GUI would be nice at least, but I am not sure how that would be as an experience.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand. Those files won’t become unusable. Worst case scenerio, you might’ve lost or deleted the brush tip or pattern, but the preset itself is still intact and will work, it will just notify you that the original brush tip is missing (not sure about the pattern).
Also “unless you know what is keeping them hidden” - well, you are the one keeping them hidden: you either deleted them or change them, so it’s just a backup.

To be honest I was working on other things so I’m not 100% sure what happens if one for example tries to delete a pattern that some of the active brush presets are using. Or rather, what should happen, since I’m not sure if that behaviour was already adjusted to the new system.

If you delete a pattern that a brush preset is using, then start krita, that brush preset still works and the pattern is shown in the patterns docker and in the brush editor patterns display.

The pattern only goes away if you delete the brush preset that was using it.
This seems to indicate that the brush preset holds a copy of the pattern which is strange because I thought the entire point of resources was to have them in common and refer/point to them.

There may be another explanation but it’s the only one that I can think of considering what I’ve just seen when I tried all that.

the black list file makes them unusable not me D: I am trying to get rid of them, that is why using the windows explorer it is more efficient.

If I want them back too, I need to pull the right version out “somehow” and rename it or delete the file that keeps them hidden and restart, because inside the GUI I will never see that version again making it useless, and this too is something I never end up doing as it is too complicated and lengthy to do when compared to remaking it again. if I used some image too it should be on the hardrive or on Krita’s own source resources too.

I really don’t want to back up those “versions” only the “final version” I end up making but there might be some poor soul that might need it I am sure regardless :\ But I still don’t like it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t mind about copies of brushes, I just need convenient and sturdy mechanism to export/backup brushes. So because bundle-making not always works predictable I tried to clear files like @EyeOdin for following backup/exporting proposes but only made a mess with brush presets. So yes, delete unused resource files from krita gui is obviously better for easy copying right brushes through file manager.

If Resource Manager will handle exporting/importing/editing groups/tags/bundles of brush presets smoothly it would be really good.

1 Like

I agreed with EyeOdin and I9S the “blacklist” system is not “sure” if you create a new brushe with a name blacklisted, i think it’ll cause problems. The same for the duplicate one, it has happen to me and the best solution was to delete manually the files that i don’t need directly in the directory and open the x.blacklist to make some cleaning :wink:

If the new system use a database, it will be easier to avoid the problems. (I mostly use the iu to activate/desactivate bundle)

By the way, are the modifications for the new system already in the nightlies releases or not yet merged in the master branch?

It is not merged yet. Hopefully we’ll release an alpha version next month or so.

Can’t wait to see what you guys have come up with, and I hope I am not too late to the party. Here’s my 2 cents:

Last week I created a few brushes. Wanted to organize them, delete the ones I don’t need and stuff like that. The usability could be improved a bit. I am no coder in any way, so I don’t know exactly how to do it or if it would be complicated.

• brushes should be organizable via drag and drop, and generally as if I had them on my real desk. Grab it and put it away or rearrange the order. The tag system is a cool idea, but I am not too sure how well you can use it in real life scenarios. If I need something in two sets, could there be an instance of a brush, like a linked copy? Or just a simple duplicate. For me, it makes more sense to put something in a box. That is just my humble, uninformed in UX and UI opinion. :slight_smile:
  • right click on the brush icon should give me the option to delete
  • export of the bundle file, at least for me, was broken. Had a lot of “BrushesName_XJWH3K321” kind of names where the system made many different bundle files of the same bundle, starting with the name I wanted and added other random letters to it. Here’s a screenshot

You can assign two or more tags to a brush, so yes, it is possible. Btw tags already work; I would suggest not using the ones that come from Krita but creating your own.

Drag&drop - we’ll see :slight_smile: I hope to get it nice in the Resource Manager, but I don’t really see a way to do this drag&drop nicely. Should there be always two widgets with tags selected on top? But then, if the user drags between those windows, should the resource be removed from the tag in the first widget and added to the second one? Or just added to the second one? It can seem confusing, it might even cause some people to think that you can have only one tag (only one “box” containing the resource) for the resource, while in fact you can have multiple.

2 Likes

For me, it makes more sense to put something in a box. That is just my humble, uninformed in UX and UI opinion

Kinda like the way MyPaint’s brush manager UI works? When you import a brush “bundle” it creates a group. You can move the brushes in the group to any position you want. and you can have multiple groups open at the same time. I think this works a similar to a “box” you can arrange stuff in.

4 Likes