Dog, looking for c&c

13 Likes

Pretty good, a bit blurry tho. If you’d add few sharp edges here and there, I think the image would read even better!

This feels kinda half finished to me. It is a pretty decent basis upon which to start adding in more detail and stronger lighting, especially for the highlight side of things which this is really lacking right now, it sorta stops at the midtones for the most part.

I’d also probably use a move brush to slide some things around first before moving on. The main portion of the head and the snout have different orientations. The muzzle is basically pointing straight out of the frame at the viewer, but the ears and eyes hint at the head being slightly turned and facing a bit more towards the right side of the frame. So moving the end of the snout over to the right a bit to fit better with the rest of the head’s alignment would probably help a ton.

I’d also probably do something with the eye that’s in the shade, it seems smaller than the one in the light. Part of that is the lighting, brightening it up a bit will help. But it feels a fair bit smaller and slightly different shaped as well.

Otherwise this is pretty good start with a lot of potential. Keep at it!

2 Likes

Actually I didn’t draw the eye in the shade, because it wasn’t visible in the photograph from which I drew it. Isn’t there a thing like less details are visible in the low lighted area, I am new to digital art and art as a whole. I should add more brighter colors on the lighted side. Thanks for the detailed feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eyes tend to be about the most important feature on a face, so it’s one of the best places to invest your effort into detailing and building up appeal when doing portrait work. If the reference left it obscured in shadow, then this would be an ideal spot to break away from the reference and come up with something better of your own (or with the help of supplementary references). In general though, because of the nature of eyes, they tend to pick up a fair bit of ambient light and take on almost an inner glowing quality from the captured light bouncing around inside and some of it escaping back out in pretty much every direction. So they should stand out fairly well even in less than ideal lighting conditions, but that won’t always come through on a photo.

Considering you chose an outdoor setting with a fairly diffuse lighting situation, it is really hard to explain the lack of bounced light to give the eye more visibility and definition. If this were an indoor scene with a single strong directional light or much closer to sunrise or sunset when the sun is partially obscured by the horizon, then you could probably make it work.

Here are some random images from the internet showing 3 different levels of dramatic lighting for some reference.

Refs

With this first one, the effect is very strong and we see the lost edges concept you alluded to, but also keep in mind how dark the background is and how harsh the light source is to pull this off.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/15/52/68/155268d9158a0d979fe278a427cdacfa--white-dogs-columbus-ohio.jpg

Next we have something still fairly dramatic, but with softer lighting, as you can see the ambience from this softer lighting is still providing plenty of light to be picked up by the shaded eye. It is definitely darker than the other, but easy enough to distinguish from the surrounding face, and you can even make out a hint of some reflection on the lower part of the lens. But also notice the lighting is still much more limited and directional than in your image.
https://teresasweetphotography.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kyra-028.jpg?w=584

And finally we have one that is much closer to the lighting you went with, though in a much darker and artificially lit setting. As you can see the lighting is still directional, but there is plenty of bounced light going on, to the point that you can still make out clear highlight reflections on the shaded eye.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/42/ea/1242eafb86091acc8ee41ba9e05d1fbb.jpg

Though with all that said, there is nothing wrong with leaving things as is and moving on to the next painting and carrying over some of of what you learned with you. But if you are attached to this painting and want to get the most out of it, then the eyes and stronger highlights on the fur, along with the earlier suggestion of slightly realigning the snout, are the way to go to push this to the next level.

2 Likes

@Uradamus How is this now?

5 Likes

Definitely an improvement. Though the shaded eye may be a tad too bright now and I have a feeling based on the light direction, a bit of the snout would be casting some shadow across the eye diagonally. The mouth lines feel a bit too dark as well on the lit side now that you’ve gotten stronger highlights in the mix. Some of the features still feel a little lopsided/misaligned. But overall this is much better looking and the highlights alone really help it feel a lot more like a finished work now.

@Uradamus

3 Likes

That’s looking pretty good. I like those highlights on the darker fur up top, nice little touch. The lighting seems a lot more in balance now overall.