**Halloween Art Party 2022: Rise of the Demonspawn!** 😈

Halloween Art Party 2022: Rise of the Demonspawn! :poop: :japanese_ogre: :smiling_imp: :troll: :squid:

Okay, here it is - your Halloween challenge for 2022! (which I actually wrote for last year but never posted :sweat_smile:).

I’ve waited a bit to leave some space for the monthly contest to get going and so it’s a bit closer to Halloween.

This isn’t an official event - just me continuing the long-standing tradition (from that one-time challenge two years ago). I hope you’ll still join in and make it a fun seasonal activity! :partying_face:

Feel free to use this thread for discussion and WIPs.

The Short Brief:

• Paint a picture of a demonic creature.

• They should be wearing or using at least one party accessory and bearing a gift.

• The tone is horror/comedy in whatever ratio and style you choose.

• Include the whole creature in the frame - not cropped/close up.

• Post it in the art section on or before Sunday 31st October (Halloween).

• General site rules on content apply.

Update! - I’ve now added a thread for collective posting of pictures here:

The Epic Version

And lo; It came to pass that the 666th person did request that some feature in Krita should be ‘more like Photoshop’.

And the great Goddess Halla did shed a tear in anguish, which falling to the Earth did breaketh the seal to the gates of the underworld.

And from the abyss therein did pour the demonic hordes who were now free to walk the earth and smite those who would doubteth the power of The Krita.

Brief:

You have been visited by a demonic creature who demands you demonstrate your prowess in the holy art of Krita by capturing its likeness in the style of your choosing!

Having been contained for countless aeons the demons are now ‘well up for a party’ and grab any party accessories to hand.

They also come bearing ‘gifts’ – knowing of the tradition of ‘giving’ but never having partaken in such festivities before.

Let your imagination run free…

Rewards:

You get a warm fuzzy feeling from participating in a community activity.

Punishments:

Those found unworthy will be damned to spend eternity painting ‘happy little trees’ with Windows Paint and a mouse, on an ageing computer, with an unstable copy of Windows 95 and Clippy the MS Office assistant continually mocking you while you work.

Rules: Paint a picture. Don’t break the rules.

Do’s and Dont’s

Do: Join in :+1:
Do: Have fun :partying_face:

Don’t: Be a chicken :hatched_chick:
Don’t: Be boring :unamused:

Happy Halloween!

10 Likes

See how I transform this old rat
Into a most delightful hat
Hmm, my compliments from me to you
On this your most intriguing hat
Consider though this substitute
A bat in place of this old rat
Huh! No, no, no, now that’s all wrong
This thing will never make a present
It’s been dead for much too long
Try something fresher, something pleasant

First thing that came to mind when I saw that line. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah - me too! I thought of posting a clip of it in the brief but thought it might be a distraction or too much influence on creativity. The gift could be something made, but also just something found/chosen.

Should there be a separate topic for the final artwork entries?

That might make it too diffuse?

I think for the last one I wanted people to keep it secret then post on Halloween - with the intent it would be like a parade taking over the art section.

It didn’t really work out though - people tend to do their own thing so I thought I’d just leave it more open this time. :upside_down_face:

The last one was before the monthly contests started, so maybe a thread like the contests would fit with current convention. I’ll have a think about it. :thinking:

I do like the idea of monsters running riot through the art section though! :yum:

If anyone else has thoughts on this feel free to chime in!

I feel like I’m necro-threading my own post - but in this case that’s probably appropriate! :yum:

One week gone already - two weeks remain!

I’m not sure how many noticed the thread - it got buried pretty quick. If only I had some kind of magic forum glue… :thinking:

So far - I know I’m joining in, and I think @kynlo is. I hope more of you will too and make it feel more like a party! :partying_face:

I’m thinking of putting up a thread for final images as suggested. I’ll probably wait until next week though - so we can have a halloween gathering. :ghost:

3 Likes

Definitely! Looking forward to seeing all the other characters people bring to the party!!!

1 Like

I would unironically work with ms paint on a ageing computer with ms clippy laughing at me :laughing:

1 Like

One week to go until Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:

I’ve now posted the thread for us to post our pictures here:

I’m not sure who’s participating - but there are some sketches in Kynlo’s sketchbook and my own.

I hope more of you will join in. There’s no pressure for this - it’s not a contest, just a bit of Halloween themed fun.

I may drop something in later… maybe next year.

Not a promise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool! :slight_smile:

How’s the hand doing? I think pictures scrawled in blood would be thematically appropriate… :thinking:

1 Like

The blood is long gone, but I have large scars that starts to contract if I leave the hand inactive fifteen minutes or so. Fingers still feel a bit like pieces of wood. Improvement comes suddenly without warning, then there’s a long spell (weeks or even months) where nothing seems to happen or maybe getting worse. It’s a weird thing this healing process.

Well that sounds like fun! :anguished:

Still; I’m reliably informed that painting is good physio for this type of injury - and particularly creature designs, due to uh… the umm… fine motor movements needed… and stuff… :nerd_face:

But seriously - I hope it will continue to heal and function improves. :slight_smile:

I’ve also secretly been hoping @Sineater will suddenly appear and blind us all with Halloween awesomeness! :scream:

I don’t like it when he’s quiet - I start to worry! :confused:

Thanks! I’m sort of exercising that with Blender and Inkscape for work. Kind of busy with that, things piled up when I was completely incapacitated.

I think he’s busy playing with the grandchildren. :slight_smile:

Why not send a PM invite?

1 Like

@Bleke @Mythmaker Im in. Haven’t felt the muse lately but Halloween is just the thing. I will see if the baby thinks I can scare someone.

4 Likes

Good to see you again, Sineater! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay! :grin:

So that’s three confirmed and one maybe (or is it two?)! Sounds like a party to me! :partying_face:

Anyone else reading this - I hope you’ll come and join us! :wink: :+1:

Well, I guess I’ll join the party with my WIP, though I don’t really intend to finish it. Last night, as I was working on my WIP for the monthly contest, I decided to take a break and thought of this challenge- and doodled… whatever this is.

Some kind of pumpkin-headed, bat-winged, disembodied-limbed, hook-peg-legged demon wearing a party hat, mardi gras beads(?), a spiderweb decoration… and bearing gift boxes.
And its process of coming to life;

Just a doodle with no planning or ideas, just making stuff up as I go along. As if it rose up out of the underworld, piece by piece… :jack_o_lantern:

6 Likes