Help me! How to grow and develop as an artist?

I created this illustration when I had only been learning to draw for about a year. Even now, I feel like I still have a lot to learn.

I never expected this piece to go viral. It completely surprised me, and I’m incredibly grateful for all the support it received.

The problem is that I don’t have any sketches or process photos to share. At the time, I was still learning how to use my drawing software. I barely understood layers or brushes, so the entire illustration was created on a single layer. I started by tracing the outline and then drew over it.

Since then, many people have asked to see more illustrations like this or to learn about my creative process, but the truth is that I don’t have much material from that time.

My dream is to become a horror illustrator, inspired by artists like Junji Ito and Trevor Henderson. Although I draw much more freehand now than I used to, I still struggle with creating my own creatures and original ideas. I love reimagining horror characters, but I want to learn how to design my own.

I’d love to keep exploring the aesthetic of this illustration without being limited to it. I want to grow, experiment, and eventually develop my own artistic identity.

My English isn’t the best, so I used a translator.

What I’d really like to ask is this: How can I move forward without getting stuck in this style?

I’m grateful that people like this illustration, and I still love its atmosphere. But sometimes I feel trapped by it. Every time I draw, I compare my work to this image.

I don’t want to abandon this style, but I also don’t want to keep repeating the same illustration forever. How do I find my own artistic voice without losing what made your work unique? I’d love to create my own monsters and not just stick to recreating the ones that already exist.

Any advice on how to study, experiment, or design original horror creatures would mean a lot to me.

1 Like

Hi @Maribel_Vega

What kind of help are you looking for ? I don’t see your question.

I created this illustration when I had only been learning to draw for about a year. Even now, I feel like I still have a lot to learn.

I never expected this piece to go viral. It completely surprised me, and I’m incredibly grateful for all the support it received.

The problem is that I don’t have any sketches or process photos to share. At the time, I was still learning how to use my drawing software. I barely understood layers or brushes, so the entire illustration was created on a single layer. I started by tracing the outline and then drew over it.

Since then, many people have asked to see more illustrations like this or to learn about my creative process, but the truth is that I don’t have much material from that time.

My dream is to become a horror illustrator, inspired by artists like Junji Ito and Trevor Henderson. Although I draw much more freehand now than I used to, I still struggle with creating my own creatures and original ideas. I love reimagining horror characters, but I want to learn how to design my own.

I’d love to keep exploring the aesthetic of this illustration without being limited to it. I want to grow, experiment, and eventually develop my own artistic identity.

My English isn’t the best, so I used a translator.

Hello @Maribel_Vega, I have adapted your headline to one that gives the users an idea of what you want to know from them. Do not forget to use descriptive headlines in the future, because “Help” is an unwanted headline according to our rules, it only says you have a problem or question but not which question that may be.
Thank you!


And about your question, simply move on and paint more, then you will get more comfortable and at one point you will be able to try things completely on your own.


Because I’m in a hurry I have to stop here, but I hope your topic will now attract more users to stop by.

Michelist

1 Like

You already have a few specific questions that’s easy to make into searchable terms:
Character design
Horror
And I’d add anything that’s the base of your subjects, such as human faces in this one, or anatomy or dogs..Idk.

Search for this, there is lots on youtube. I also recommend Lighting Mentor for atmospheric light and coloring - his works are cuter but the strategy can be applied to anything. And he talks a bit about using referenses too.

Don’t worry about loosing your style - your style is what happens when you figure which effects, shape-language and flow of your works that you prefer and like. It will come naturally. Experiment and study outside your style - the bigger your mental library becomes, the more you have to chose from when making your own characters.
Between studies - which in this context is works you do just to learn something, and that may be way out of your desired style - do personal illustrations for fun, take inspiration from the styles you like an apply to the things you studied, or just draw what you think will be cool.

1 Like