How do I erase a part of my drawing without touching the part i don't want to erase?

Hello! I’m trying to animate an eye closing, but I’ve run into a problem.

In my second frame, I selected the upper eyelashes and moved them down. The problem is that the middle part of the eye is now showing through the eyelashes. I’d like to erase that part, but doing it manually would take a long time, and I’m worried about accidentally changing the shape of the eyelashes.

Is there an easier way to remove the middle part of the eye that’s behind the upper eyelashes?

I’ve included some screenshots so it’s easier to understand what I mean.

These are anime-style eyes, so if you have any feedback on the design I’d really appreciate it :slight_smile: Thank you!

Underneath the eyelash layer and above the eye layer, I’d put an animated ‘paint over’ layer where you paint over the eye (beyond the top of the eyelash outline) in a suitable colour.
You’d need to do a different ‘paint over’ keyframe for each eyelash keyframe.

For opening the eye, you can copy and paste keyframes and then select the ‘eye opening frames’ and do right-click → Mirror Frames to reverse the time order. That’s a quick and easy way of ‘reversing time’ for a frame sequence.

The problem is that I drew the entire eye on a single layer, so I can’t separate the eyelashes from the rest of the eye anymore.

Ah, a classic mistake :frowning: Use as many layers as you can for separate parts/elements of the animation. They’re free!

Yes i always forget. but ik hate it when there are so many layers. somethimes I forget that i was drawing in the wrong layer. But I!ll keep it in mind :slight_smile:

Is there a other way or should i just try to erase it and hope I don’t change my upper-eyelashes shape?

Well, in theory you could do large amounts of tedious, error prone and swear inducing messing around to isolate the eyelashes onto a separate layer.
However, my experience is that it’s best to start over again and remember the lessons learned.

If you have “conditionally” three layers of “eyelashes”, “eye” and “face”, then create a group for the “eye” layer, and place a fill layer inside the group below the “eyes” layer that does not extend beyond the “eyelashes”. Then, for the “eye”, activate the inheritance of the alpha channel with the “α” button in the layers panel. This way you can control the contour of the eye for everyone without destroying the original eye.


1 Like

Oh no…:smiling_face_with_tear: I worked 5 hours to make this. I am still a beginner so I draw really slow. Im gonna try removing big part so i still have a shape. but thank you anyway for the tips and help!

1 Like

No I only used one layer. I’ll try it when I recreate my drawing. but thank you anyway!

You can use a transparency mask to hide the parts of the eyeball you don’t need. This looks like erasing to the viewer but the actual layer stays intact. You can even keyframe the mask, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Yes, transparency masks (and filter masks) can be animated as painted keyframes.