How Natural Brush Tip and Texture are made?

There are brush tips that are different from tips made with digital pen on software.
Do brush makers Use real brush to make a stroke on Paper scan it afterwards ?
Also about texture they capture or scan the texture ?

I am currently importing brush tips and texture from Photoshop brush which has natural like feeling.

Which brush are you trying to import to Krita? Maybe I can help you convert it. It’s harder for me to convert brushes that use textures though because the way krita uses brush textures is different compared to the way photoshop uses brush textures.

1 Like

I want to know how to make Brush Tips from Scratch using natural media.

Currently I am importing Brush Tip and Texture used in Photoshop Brush. I don’t need one-on-one copy of PS brush so brush tip and textures are more than enough.

btw, Can you explain how Krita use Texture differently from Photoshop ? I’ve never created a brush using Photoshop so it’s a strange thing for me.

1 Like

Things I know from my experience trying importing brushes from PS:

Krita has texture “Strength” parameter that can be controllable by pressure (or other way) - it is sort of texture “Depth” parameter in Photoshop brush setting.
Krita’s texture “Cutoff” is similar to “Contrast” and “Brightness” but in different way.
Unlike PS Krita has only “Multiply” and “Substract” texture mode.
Higher resolution texture really slows down curves and sliders while changing parameters.

So, the one real lack of Krita compared to Photoshop texture working – is only two texture modes for a brush. In that way the “way” to import brushes from PS became less easier and more frustrating.

Here is manual for Krita https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/brushes/brush_settings/texture.html

2 Likes

There are lots of different ways to produce texture with brushes - The tip is one, but there’s also texture pattern, various settings such as scatter, rotation and size can be set to increase expression of texture, and the masked brush setting is good for more complex media emulation (like watercolour effects). The new RGBA feature can be used to emulate thick texture - like impasto effects.

Yes - You can create tips from scans of real media, or isolate textures from photographs. I have a set of scanned ink tips I made years ago and used extensively, so I think it’s worth the effort.

It isn’t necessary to have a natural tip though. The tip alone is not what makes the brush behave like natural media - You need to think about the behaviour of the media you are trying to recreate, choose an appropriate engine and tip, then play with the many settings to find the right feel.

Common settings to start with are spacing, angle and rotation (drawing angle or tilt). Size is useful if you want a tapered stroke. Then you have a huge array of other options to fine tune, or create various effects.

Ramon spends a lot of time studying real media and trying to recreate them digitally - so his posts, videos and brushes are a good resource for learning about this. And of course David Revoy, who’s been making Krita brushes longer than most.

I hope that’s helpful in some way and I’m not just telling you stuff you already know! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for knowledge :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I was testing and I realized just changing tip bring a lot of life to the brush so I wanted to know how it was made. I want to see how people scan the real media or capture the texture

I’m sucked at one thing. That’s natural medium. The reason I use digital is because I don’t have space or money for real Medium at my place.

I’m learning to make brush by copying the Photoshop brush and recreating to my liking in Krita.

1 Like

Here’s a image that I hope shows how Krita renders textures differently from photoshop. Even when using the “same” texture blend modes in photoshop and Krita.

Also I remember the link @raghukamath sent me that showed how the development of Krita’s texture engine was inspired by natural media. As you can see in the image I posted, Krita does create a “stronger” canvas texture that’s like if you was painting on canvas. I notice a lot of photoshop artists like using the height blend mode to try to make their texutres look more like “natural media”. Like this video shows

https://www.davidrevoy.com/article107/textured-brush-in-floss-digital-painting

Oh yeah, I really recommend to make sure your brush textures stay 1000x1000px or less. And try to target a filesize of 600kb or less. Even if you have to convert the textures to jpg. Krita really doesn’t like high resolution textures and can crash if you load hi res textures. Or make your brushes really slow

2 Likes

So - just to clarify re: the natural tips.

It’s a long time since I’ve done it, but here’s what I recall: I created dabs on watercolour paper using diluted black ink; Diluted so more texture would be visible than using it neat. I scanned them and changed the values to white out the paper and increase contrast. Then I selected and saved the dabs individually as brush tips.

I’ve made tips from pieces of photographed textures using a similar approach - just need to isolate interesting bits, increase contrast, and edit the edge so it looks organic.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for tips. I’ve learnt a lot by reading this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I don’t need brush to totally emulate the real world media. As I am not a traditionally trained artist or even a painter, I just want a brush that can be used comfortably.

I see Krita has other brush engine but Pixel Engine is the most used one. I try other but I get a bit slower brush using engines other than Pixel.