In Orbit

painting i recently did with krita. recently switching from ps. love the guides as you can see in the painting. they really helped this come out much better than otherwise without a 3d underlay.
posted here with process vid link and other images
youtube process video

37 Likes

welcome to the forum. we need more sci- fi themed art.

1 Like

Very cool! Love the blue! :smiley:

This is amazing. Indeed, your usage of guides is impressive.
BTW I love the stars in the back, did you do them with the spray brush or something ?

fantastic :slight_smile:

Very complete and accomplished vision. I think if we could see a few of of the tug boats getting smaller and smaller as they approach the main ship that would help describe the scale, I know there’s one down there but it’s not immediately obvious. Not a criticism but a suggestion (I know it’s finished). I grew up with pictures like this blowing my mind before we got similar images in films, so get nostalgic seeing this sort of thing.

@MangaTengu hankyou mt. my inspiration for all that guide work is this persons work. scott robertson he is really a master of construction. i try to generally apply it. i cant go as far as he does, thats just too much for me. but even a little goes along way. i did use the star brush “texture starfield” right out of the box pretty much. thanks for commenting.

1 Like

@CyMonk thankyou cm, i will certainly ablige! its my passion.

@alexsabo thanks alexabo

@Rakurri thats def the accent on this piece. thankyou.

1 Like

@djwaterman thanks. thats a good suggestion about the tugs. i had a vision of one nearer the ship with a string of them behind a tug. the cargo’s would be curving off behind it electromagnetically held together as a train. i think i succumbed to post it, finish it - itis, lol. good suggestion. i might add that and repost it.

i know what you mean about older sci fi art. i think i had the same experience looking at old book cover art. that influenced me more than anything i think. i think im heavily influced by many people but mcquarry is one of the primary’s. ralph mcquarry i just love his simplicity and clairity of design and precision.

i tend toward more euclidean shapes in many designs. my idea of the future involves a kind of simplicity and elegance that i honestly think is missing in film designs these days. maybe it was done for convenience of production back then but i really liked the clear bold reads it gives. the more post modern everything gets the muddier the read tends to become.
thanks for the comment

Yes I actually do have his book ! This guy is a big shot ! Thank you for the details !

1 Like

@djwaterman

6 Likes

Wow. That does clarify the whole scenario in a big way.

1 Like

@djwaterman thanks! and thanks for making the suggestion. that was very intuitive of you. great observation.
thanks again -m

1 Like

A marvelous piece of drawing. It’s my lock screen now. Keep more coming!

@ajbozdar thanks! thats high praise! i will certainly try.

You deserve it!
What would you recommend to a beginner who is just starting out?

big question. being able to draw is very important. its a fast way to generate ideas with low commit value to see if your going to like anything. like blueprints. the best beginning book i think is drawing on the right side of your brain that will help you switch gears and know how the switch works. drawing is part left and right hemisphere. this will help your coding believe it or not.

here’s another good book. figure drawing design and invention by michael hampton. after you get past drawing simple obejcts from life in perspective. the best perspective book there is is from How to Draw: drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination by scott robertson.

when your ready for a deeper look at anatomy. go for this Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist’s Guide to Form, Function, and Movement by valerie winslow fantastic book for getting it down.

when you get into painting your going to want this Alla Prima II Everything I Know about Painting–And More im not sure why the price went up but this book is actually worth it. fab for getting into the mindset of painting. this one is much more affordable Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (Volume 2) (James Gurney Art) then also this Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn’t Exist (Volume 1) (James Gurney Art) and finally for now How to Render: the fundamentals of light, shadow and reflectivity

and to sum up for now. start by learning to get more right brained with drawing. that will prove to you that its possible. next learn to draw basic objects in perspective and study the human anatomy. while doing that copy and try to start with simple objects and still life, collections of objects then on to human anatomy. then start to understand painting. painting is all about shapes. you have to think in 2d up to the last minute when it becomes 3d. artists make alot of progress by copying real life and other artists. getting reference materials before starting anything is key to success.

be patient with yourself. this is like starting a meditation practice or any long journey. another key to success is to find local groups and get a group you can share your progress with. that will also speed up your rate of skills acquisition like nothing else. like this forum but also some people near you too. lastly i’d say before you draw take five and calm down.

the best work is done in the alpha brainwave state. longer slower more gentle brainwaves. that will give you access to your subconscious or super conscious which is already Picasso, or da vinci. and finally follow your hearts interests. if you do that commercial success will follow if thats what you want. alot of artists get flipped around and thats a recipe for disaster or at least misery. not saying don’t pay the bills just don’t forget your passions. nice living in the age of information. we are very lucky all this is out there. oh and check out artstation as well.