Krita 4.3.0 beta is out - you too can help with beta testing!

First Beta of Krita 4.3.0 Released

Krita 4.3.0 will be the next full feature release of Krita. We’ve worked for a year on this new version of Krita, focusing especially on stability and performance.

Many tools, like freehand painting and selections are faster than ever. And there is a bunch of fun new features, as well, many contributed by volunteers from all over the world.

9 Likes

First Beta of Krita 4.3.0 Released

Published 5/4/2020

Krita 4.3.0 will be the next full feature release of Krita. We’ve worked for a year on this new version of Krita, focusing especially on stability and performance. Many tool, like freehand painting and selections are faster than ever. And there is a bunch of fun new features, as well, many contributed by volunteers from all over the world.

Kiki among the waterlilies

The full release notes bring you all the details!

Please help improve Krita by testing this beta!

Download

Windows

If you’re using the portable zip files, just open the zip file in Explorer and drag the folder somewhere convenient, then double-click on the krita icon in the folder. This will not impact an installed version of Krita, though it will share your settings and custom resources with your regular installed version of Krita. For reporting crashes, also get the debug symbols folder.

Linux

(If, for some reason, Firefox thinks it needs to load this as text: to download, right-click on the link.)

OSX

Note: the gmic-qt is not available on OSX.

Source code

md5sum

For all downloads:

Support Krita

Krita is a free and open source project. Please consider supporting the project with donations or by buying training videos! With your support, we can keep the core team working on Krita full-time.

14 Likes

Is the Android beta available for download on the Google Play store, or is it just barely submitted and awaiting approval? I’m not seeing it when I search the play store on any of my devices.

Answer from @sh-zam:

neither, yet… I have to test billing for the last time, so we can upload it on play store. Only then it will need an approval from google. :frowning:

1 Like

thanx (to @emmetpdx i guess) for uploading it to steam, too.

4 Likes

Is there any secret on activation the lightness brush mode?
On my windows x64 4.3 beta the brush mode is grayed out for all the brushes.

Yes, kind of… you need to have a special brush tip. Like the ones I made and linked here: Use alpha channel in brush tips, or add an overlay tip

2 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t realize that.

There will be a lot of work to create new brush tips! That looks interesting!

1 Like

Hello! the beta for 4.3 loads fine on my iMac 10.13.6. No need to trash the hidden files (like kritarc, etc) as previous versions required. Looks good, kept the pressure sensitivity as previously set. It DID require me to update the wacom driver, though. (red line in the tablet tester, then blue after the update) Is there a way to leave the OpenGL off as default in the mac build, as Apple has dropped support?

If it weren’t for the software my day job requires, I would have installed elementary OS by now :slight_smile: - great job Krita Team

I believe most Macs do have some level of support for OpenGL drivers even if it’s really abysmal and even if Apple doesn’t want to take the responsibility, and considering that the other option is software rendering (on your CPU), it means that still for most Mac users it should be faster and better with OpenGL turned on. But that’s just my guess. @IvanYossi ?

Hello i am trying to find how I can detach the camvas like shown in the 4.3 preview, but with no luck yet. Have anyone tried this?

There is one issue that is both fixed on our end already but if you want to fix it on your end without having to redownload (download Krita Plus) you can do this:

Remove any local krita4.xmlgui file you have around

Now where is it is another question… I think in resource folder? Go to Settings -> Manage Resources -> Open Resource Folder and check. If it is there, just remove it.

It was reported here:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421097

1 Like

yeap that was it, it works as expected now thanks! It now works from the beta as well, not just the last build. First time I tried this I couldn’t use shortkeys like space+drag, shift+drag etc when the camvas was detached, but after closing and reopening krita, it works fine now and as expected! Pretty cool new feature!

EDIT:
This mode is amazing actually, it allows us to have so much control on panels, and save so much space on the camvas without the need of going into camvas only mode. Especially since the drawing monitor is usually done on the smallest one (some kind of 12 - 15" wacom or sth) :stuck_out_tongue: I can put in use my uhd monitor now hahaha. So excited for this feature.

2 Likes

Apple marked OpenGL as deprecated which is not the same as dropped support. All openGL applications are supported up to a certain OpenGL spec. Current macOs with a recent graphic cards support version 4.1

Why would you need to turn off openGL? performance with canvas CPU rendering is not smooth at all.

Do you want us to report bugs here in the forums or on the KDE central bug repository? I’ve run into an issue where the buttons on my Huion Kamvas Pro 22 (2018) don’t register properly, but the same command works from the keyboard. However, sometimes, the keyboard does not work either, and I cannot access a command for a little bit. I rely alot on the space as means to pan and ctrl-space as means to zoom.

Thanks.

Tablet issues are better to talk about on the forum because they are very rarely bugs. And in most cases Krita doesn’t even have tablet code for that - everything is done by Qt and the system. There are various reasons for tablet issues but usually they are not because of anything we can actually “fix” in Krita code, in best case they can be worked around.

Please just start a new thread. Explain if it worked in previous versions and what have you changed from default settings etc.

Hi

On my side, I have some random crashes that I can’t explain…
Just drawing, and pouf, no more Krita: application has just disappeared without any message.

Last crash, I was painting white color on a paint layer with brush u)_Pixel_Art_Fill

I use Krita 4.3.0 Appimage on Debian 10

From now, I execute Krita from command line to get standard output visible on terminal to try to see if I can have more information next time it wil occurs, but according to the symptom I suspect a segmentation fault…
There is another thing I can do to try to get more information? (Except use of valgrind because applications became so slow that I’m not sure being able to draw with the tool activated)

From krita.log, I think what I see is written at startup after a previous execution has crashed:

================================================================================
SESSION: 06 May 2020 18:04:14 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 16943
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

KRITA DID NOT CLOSE CORRECTLY
================================================================================
SESSION: 10 May 2020 13:14:03 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 5367
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 13:16:56 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 5456
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 13:18:19 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita-4.2.9-x86_64.appimage

Krita Version: 4.2.9, Qt version compiled: 5.12.7, loaded: 5.12.7. Process ID: 5547
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 13:19:16 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 5598
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 13:20:54 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 5669
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 16:15:50 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 10616
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 10 May 2020 20:27:50 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 19250
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 12 May 2020 20:11:48 +0200. Executing /home/grum/Applications/Images/Krita/krita.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 12058
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

SESSION: 12 May 2020 20:16:28 +0200. Executing ./krita-4.3.0-beta1-x86_64.appimage

Krita Version: 4.3.0-beta1, Qt version compiled: 5.12.8, loaded: 5.12.8. Process ID: 12190
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Grum999

Running it in gdb should catch the crash cause, though the appimages don’t have debug info, but better than nothing.

Valgrind is rather tricky and tedious to use, it’s more the last resort when everything else failed.