KRITA 4.4.3 CREATING A VECTOR IMAGE - Beginner level

Hello everyone,
This video is going to be for people who never worked with vector images before.
It is a step-by-step tutorial that focuses on all the basic tools and techniques. However, it can also be viewed as a refresher course. Usually in the tool options docker I go through all the buttons. Not this time. I will only show the main ones or the ones that I think beginners will mostly use.

The image I am going to create toward the end (a beetle bug) is extremely simple. This way, any beginner can reproduce it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Last week’s video triggered some interesting conversations on Krita’s Forum. I was corrected in some areas of the topic and given inputs and advice. To get the PDF file with the corrections and tips, click on this link:

Chapters
00:00 Introduction
00:26 Update from last week’s video.
01:37 Creating a vector layer
02:01 A few things that you cannot do on a vector layer
03:57 Basic Things you can do: Creating shapes
04:50 Basic Things you can do: Select Shapes Tool (moving, resizing, rotating your shapes)
10:10 Basic Things you can do: Edit Shapes Tool (molding the shapes the way you want to)
13:30 Creating a vector image
22:02 Before to save… Group, Copy, and Archive!
23:00 Saving/Exporting a vector image

Next week, I will start a new series on Brushes.
https://youtu.be/QNXg9H-ru8s

3 Likes

Hi @CelticCoco, Just a very quick technical correction:
In your introductory notes for the video, the link to the PDF file is malformed.
It has a semicolon instead of a colon after ‘https’.

I’ll watch the video later.

It’s not only ‘good’ but amazing that you’ve gone to the trouble of providing detailed corrections information for your viewers. Wonderful work :slight_smile:

Hi AhabGreybeard. Thanks! I corrected the link.
Cheers.

Hello @CelticCoco That was a very nice video with wide coverage as well as some nicely detailed examples.
As you might expect, I have some comments :slight_smile:

14:20 You prepare to use the Freehand Path Tool but didn’t explain the importance of the Tool Options settings.
It’s possible that beginners have been experimenting with the settings and have left them in an unsuitable condition.
For an ‘easy experience’, Fill:- Not Filled, Pencil-Precision:- Curve, Pencil-Optimise:- disabled.
Pencil-Optimise can be enabled and its value changed to smooth and simplify a hand drawn path in different degrees but it needs a bit of practice to get used to it.

16:25 You prepare to make the mirrored copy of the right antenna and you use what I would personally regard as a ‘painting’ technique to do this, and throughout for all the mirrored copies of legs.
The vector tools and techniques, such as selecting two objects with Shift+click then doing right-click and copy, paste, transform-mirror are quite simple to learn and use, even for beginners I’d have thought.
Using named groups is useful and can be important but you can also do that with the vector-copy techniques.
It may be that you prefer to leave that until you do videos for ‘Intermediate’ users.

17:25 You say, “… go back to your tracing tool …” This is an example of ‘terminology drift’ which is a very easy mistake to make and can confuse beginners.

23:00 You ‘save’ your work by doing a layer-export to an .svg file and I remember you asking about this.
The reasons to do this are if you want to continue work using another application, like Inkscape, or to pass your work on to another artist who does not have krita, or for publishing.
You can Save your vector work as a .kra file, which will also include any paint layers you have in your artwork, which is probably the most suitable way for a krita beginner to save their vector work.
(A .kra file actually stores vector layers as individual .svg files inside itself.)

Thank you for making a very good tutorial video but you know that I can’t help making comments :slight_smile:

ehehehe… Of course, you had to do it. No worries. Your inputs are always welcome.