Krita Foundation as choice for Amazon Smile would be great

For those not familiar with Amazon Smile, it’s a system where Amazon will donate %0.5 of each purchase to a charity of the purchaser’s choice.

I was thinking that having the Krita Foundation as an option for Amazon Smile might help with donations. I notice that it currently isn’t one. Is this for ideological reasons? Legal reasons? Or perhaps it just hasn’t been considered before?

Krita Foundation is a non-profit organization, but it is not a charity per se (so for example you cannot get tax deduction based on donations to KF). So if Amazon Smile doesn’t allow non-profits that are not charities, Krita cannot get register there.

Btw, reading about it, I’ve found this (https://org.amazon.com/ref=smi_ge2_ul_cc_cc?encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ref=smi_chpf_redirect):

Will customers still be able to select my charitable organization if I don’t register?

Yes. As long as your organization is listed by GuideStar and meets our eligibility criteria, customers will be able to select your organization. However, no donations will be made to your organization until you complete your free registration. See “What happens if we do not register …” under Receive Donations for more information on how donations are processed for organizations that do not register and provide bank account information.

Damn… that sounds terrible: so the user thinks they are donating, but they’re in fact aren’t. Great.

I’ve read some more and confirmed Krita Foundation cannot participate (as far as I can tell… I guess @halla might be needed to confirm this for 100% sure):

What are the eligibility requirements for charitable organizations to participate?

Organizations must be registered and in good standing with the IRS as a 501©(3) to be eligible to participate. Organizations must be public charitable organizations (not private foundations) and may not be supporting organizations, unless identified specifically as a Type I, Type II, or functionally integrated Type III supporting organization. Eligible charitable organizations must also be located in one of the 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Krita Foundation is registered in The Netherlands and is, in fact, a private foundation, not a charity, as far as I can tell.

If you want to help with small amounts, we will hopefully have a good patreon-like program soon - something like Blender’s Development Fund, but for Krita. We already have one, but it’s a bit difficult to manage it, cancel, change amount etc., so this new project will hopefully make it easier.

EDIT Ok, I noticed this:

What happens if we do not register our charitable organization and provide a bank account for an electronic transfer?

If you have not registered and have donations allocated to your organization, we will attempt to contact you with instructions on how to register. If you do not register your charitable organization, including providing accurate bank account information for an electronic transfer, the AmazonSmile Foundation will still track and store donations earned in each calendar quarter. Once you’ve registered your charitable organization, your organization will be eligible to receive in the next donation cycle all donation amounts that were previously allocated to your organization and were not subject to reallocation under the Participation Agreement. Please note that donations that have been allocated to an unregistered charitable organization from customers that made their first supporting purchase more than eight full quarters ago and have not been distributed will be reallocated to other registered charitable organizations.

So they’re not absolutely terrible there; they do try to contact, or at least they claim to, and keep money for the organization. However it’s still Amazon and it’s still a terrible company :stuck_out_tongue: (that’s my personal opinion, not opinion of Krita Foundation, who I cannot represent anyway :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks for the detailed reply! Sounds like it probably can’t work out, but at least there are other ways people can donate!

Amazon Smile is truly amazing, as in, an amazing scam:
A company that pays practically no taxes - let’s call it what it is: steals from society - offers to “donate” (the sheer impudence!) a laughably small fraction of its stolen money to charity … And if that alone weren’t disgusting enough, keep in mind that the only reason why they are doing this at all is that some clever economists at Amazon have calculated that the pretense of “giving away” money to charity will give buyers the warm fuzzy feeling of contributing to society by buying extra much through Amazon, thereby earning Amazon much more money than they supposedly “give away”.

By the way: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is the richest man on this planet, he’s filthy rich beyond any point that any of us can grasp, yet it was found that thousands of Amazon’s US workers, although working fulltime, are so poor that they depend on state-financed food stamps to even feed their families.

Unfortunately the reality is that there’s only one sort of charitable act in relation to Amazon: Buy elsewhere.

Nonetheless I personally appreciate your initiative for Krita - keep it up and I’m sure you’ll find your way to support them! :+1:

1 Like

I get that Amazon is not the greatest, but it’s an undeniable fact that some people use it despite that, so I made the suggestion in hopes that it could help Krita. Anyways, now that the question has been asked and answered could someone close the thread before it devolves into an absolute mess?

2 Likes

This forum is usually not that bad to evolve in absolute messes too quickly :wink: It happens, of course, but…