Krita Photobash Plugin release 1.0!

So I’ve always disliked photo bashing just because of how painful it is. You need to find the image you want, sometimes hidden in the middle of folders, and I always really disliked.

For this reason, I decided to change things, and create a plugin to streamline all this process.

Here’s a gif of what it can do!

To install, the instructions are in the read me of the repository. Now I can finally do concept art without dreading using photos!

This plugin searches recursively through the folders inside the directory you chose, and it can even support multiple keywords! For example, if you type “rock marble”, it will find all the photos that have either rock OR marble in their name :slight_smile:

Hope you like it!

19 Likes

Holy cow, this is wonderful :smiley:
I’ll definately try this out soon. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

you might want to add this to the resource page in the manual too

3 Likes

I don’t know how to add that, but I can try :smiley: How can I apply to make this into the integrated plugins?

1 Like

To make it into integrated plugins you need to make a MR with your plugin in the same place in the code as all other plugins and it’s best if you checked if it works after you compile it (I believe you have a Krita dev environment, right?).

@raghukamath however suggested that you could just add it to the Resources Page: https://docs.krita.org/en/resources_page.html and there is instruction here: About the Plugins category - it’s basically the same thing, but instead of MR to Krita’s code, you need to make MR to Krita Manual text.

1 Like

Amazing work slightlyangrydodo! :grin: This looks extremely useful!!
This would be fantastic to have in Krita as a integrated plugin as you said! I think that would make the plugin even more discoverable! Photobashing is one of the things that would make Krita much more tempting for people jumping ship, especially from for instance Photoshop, which many people choose for it’s photbashing abilities.
If Krita had this plugin integrated, I think a lot more people would find it, and Krita might get a better foot in the photobashing community!

2 Likes

For sure, as a previous Photoshop user, it was severely lacking in features like these…

I’m really curious to see how this will impact my workflow, I always wanted something like this, so I just went ahead and did it :smiley: Doing work on the Krita UI Redesign plugin as been really beneficial!

@tiar Yup, I have a Krita dev environment! I’ll give it a shot in a few minutes!

3 Likes

I’ve just tried it and it works very well. Thank you :slight_smile:

My large collection of photos all have names like DSCF1287.jpg but at least I can see them in the thumbnails.

1 Like

Well, one thing you can do is put them inside folders. If you have a folder named “cities” for example, even if the names are gibberish like the one you mentioned, they will still appear when you search for “cities”.

1 Like

Just created a video for the plugin, hope this showcases everything with some smooth grooves!

1 Like

Ok, just installed it :slight_smile:
Wouldn’t it make sense to display all the images in given filder when search bar is empty? Then it would work like brush presets docker - I understand that it’s good to keep your resources organized, but I guess sometimes you just grab some photos to one folder, and just want to display them all, not caring about their names :wink:
And it would be cool if transform tool would be automatically activated when you click an image - I guess that’s nearly always the first thing you want to do after pasting an image.
Anyway, really cool feature, I hope I’ll find some time to dig into it a bit more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding loading the images immediately, give me a couple of minutes, and that’s done :wink: About the transform tool, I don’t know if that’s really necessary, as I could start carving away or making my own selections. Besides, if I wanted to use the transform tool, it’s easy to do inside Krita, so I don’t personally agree with that decision.

That’s great, that it’s possible - thank you :wink:
And this transform tool was just a fast, loose thought - making selection makes sense, and you’re probably right :wink:
Thanks again for your work

1 Like

So a bit of a problem. Unfortunately if I run it on startup there’s a bug in which the layouts haven’t finished inflating, and so the widths and heights aren’t correct. Still, the images appear, and if you change the page, the next ones are correct :slight_smile: Already pushed to the repo, so you can test it out now!

1 Like

Yes - now it is much better. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A step in making vfx artists to actually be able to use Krita. It is not just there yet, but thank you for making some stuff to do easier on Krita.

2 Likes

Thanks! What other improvements do you have in mind?

1 Like

Made a MR for the plugin, and I’m now looking into doing another MR for the documentation side of things :slight_smile:

EDIT: An here’s the MR for the documentation!

2 Likes

I was referring to Krita current state of photobashimg viability. Your patch is a step to get there.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if you have more ideas, maybe I can help! I don’t know more ways to improve outside of this, this makes it viable for me without dying inside every time I need to insert a damn photo. But if you have more suggestions, we could always build upon this solution, or create more to improve that workflow and be “the definitive tool for photobashing” :smiley:

1 Like