Layers management sometimes hang on

Hi

Not sure being in the right forum to explain my problem.

I have a problem with layers management.
I often use many layers to draw: paint layers, groups, filters layers, transform layers, file layers…
Can sometime have more than fifty layers in a krita file.

The problem is, when I want to remove a layer, move a layer, or group layers, krita sometimes hang on, and can take 30-60minutes just to it.

For example, here I was trying to Quick group 5 layers: in layers tree, group was immediately visible, but quick group operation took approximately 45minutes… (first time, krita had crashed after 30-40min)

I’m working on Linux Debian 10 (kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64) on 8 vCpu workstation with 32GB RAM, using Krita 4.2.8 appimage (tested with 4.2.9beta and got same problem)

Krita file contains 97 layers (of many types), geometry is 6201x8770 px
Here some additional memory information

And performance configuration

During the long grouping process, Krita process is very high, and peak at 500% cpu (I understand that over 100%, more than 1 cpu is used for process…?)

The problem doesn’t occurs systematically.
For example with this Krita file, I’m able to move/delete/group some layers without any problem, but for some others, it could take a long time…
Restarting Krita doesn’t change anything.

I understand that so many layers can be hard to manage, but finally no: Krita works pretty well, drawing is fluid and only some nodes operations in layer tree generate problems

My question are:

• Does anyone have an idea about this problem or already had this kind of problem?
  • Is it possible to activate some logs to determinate what really happen? how?

It seems that internal is full… Can this be the origin of my problem? If yes, which recommended value can I set to this setting?

Thanks.
Grum999

Can you get this problem in a systematic way, as in, for example every time you try this specific operation on this file on this specific set of layers, it appears? That would be really helpful.

Hi tiar

Thanks for reply.

File has been saved after group operation has finished…
I’m currently doing an undo to get back to previous layer configuration, but I’m afraid it will be a very long operation too…

When undo will finish, I’ll save a copy, and try to check if it can be reproduced systematically.
It may take some times, will try to post results tomorrow (it’s late in France, and it’s time to sleep now for me :sleeping:)

Grum999

Thank you so much!

Hi

You’re welcome, thanks for your work and to take time about this problem :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve made new tests, I’m able to reproduce it systematically:

• Krita 4.2.8
  • Krita 4.2.9beta

As you can see at the beginning of layers grouping process, Krita is consuming a high CPU during 5-10minutes

And after, it’s “only” 2 processes running at ~100% for 30-35minutes before grouping process is completed.

Here a simplified layers tree representation (not all of 97 layers are represented here):

Test 1

- main [group]
  - body [group]
    - dress [group]
      - drawings [group]
        - phoenix [ext. file]
        - models [group]
        - neck - collar
        - right side flowers    -->moving node down=very slow
        - left side flowers     
        - inner borders
        - flowers [ext. file]
        - motif bottom 

Test 2

- main [group]
  - body [group]
    - dress [group]
      - drawings [group]
        - phoenix [ext. file]
        - models [group]
        - neck - collar
        - right side flowers    \
        - left side flowers     |--> quick group very slow
        - inner borders         |
        - flowers [ext. file]   |
        - motif bottom          /

Test 3

- main [group]
  - body [group]
    - dress [group]
      - main [group]
        - middle               
        - bottom               
        - breast               -->moving node (inside group) immediately applied
        - copy of layer 69
        - copy of layer 68        
      - drawings [group]

Test 4

- main [group]
  - body [group]
    - dress [group]
      - main [group]
        - top                   \-->quick group immediately applied
        - middle                /
        - bottom               \-->quick group immediately applied
        - breast               /
        - copy of layer 69
        - copy of layer 68        
      - drawings [group]

I can send you if you want the file (4 files in fact, as there’s 3 external .kra files dependencies: zip file is about 22MB)

Grum999

1 Like

Yes, that would be good if you send me the file :slight_smile:

I sent you a private message with download link :slightly_smiling_face:

Grum999

1 Like