Linux, Huion and Krita

Hello, I’ve read other forum threads but couldn’t find the answers I was looking for.

I’m thinking of switching Linux as I abhor Windows in general.

I’ve read Huion drivers are not supported… does it mean I can’t use Linux with my Huion tablet? Or will it work but I’ll run in a lot more problems?

I’ve read threads about Linux bugs but this dates back to November 2020 so it’s been a while. Is Krita stable with Linux?

Since my laptop is mostly for drawing and I mostly use Krita for everything, I want to make sure it won’t be causing too many issues for me.

For using Krita, is there a distro I should focus on?

Hopefully some feedback from existent Linux users.

Thank you,

There are topics that are about the use of graphics tablets on Linux in this forum so you could search for those with the appropriate keywords.
e.g. '“Linux Huion”, “Linux tablet”, etc.

e.g:
Best stylus to use with linux

and:

Graphic Tablets on Linux

There are drivers available for Huion on Linux.
Wacom drivers are built into Linux so that is an easier start for Wacom.

Krita is developed on Linux so yes, it is and always has been stable on Linux.

People run krita on all kinds of distros. The KDE desktop environment has an advantage (I believe) with some tablet setting facilities available for it it but someone else will be able to tell you much more about that.

I’ve used the krita appimage on Linux Mint (previously) and now on Debian for long periods of time with no problems but I have a Wacom tablet.

1 Like

As @AhabGreybeard said, Krita is very stable in Linux (quite possibly more than it is on Windows). I don’t own a Huion myself, but people on various threads here have reported that they got them working on Linux.

With regards to distros, you won’t have a problem running Krita in any of them, but you might get issues with drivers.

Personally, I would suggest Pop!_OS, especially if you happen to have a laptop with hybrid graphics (e.g. Nvidia + Intel), as it makes driver installation and switching between the cards easy for new users. As an additional benefit, it’s based on Ubuntu and any tutorials/guides/etc that work for Ubuntu will largely work for Pop!_OS as well. In my opinion that’s a huge benefit for a new linux user, as a large number of guides online will be Ubuntu-specific, so it is easier to find help for issues.

The user interface is probably going to need some getting used to for someone coming from Windows, but you do get used to it after a while.

Most other Ubuntu derivatives will be largely similar other than the user interface, and are also good choices. Alternatively, any mainstream will probably work for you if you spend the time to figure it out. I would just caution against picking the less popular ones as a new user, as you will have a harder time getting help for it if you need it.

As a tip, most distros have live USBs which allow you to try them out without installing them. It’s a great way to try if the distro will work on your hardware, without committing to a format :wink:

1 Like

For a good stable distribution I would suggest Kubuntu as I suggested in other thread . You can read an article by David Revoy about it here - Kubuntu Linux 20.04 for a digital painting workstation: Reasons and Install guide. - David Revoy

2 Likes

Hi Etienne_Zizka, Kubuntu (or ubuntu and derivatives) is a good choice for a start on Linux, I use Wacom tablets and have no experience with Huion but I think this video can help you

Hope that help you, and you like Krita on Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the informative replies. I’ve read the thread linked about the issues the op had regarding orange/red.

I’ve watched the video although I’ll admit having to mess with a terminal brought back ms dos flashbacks. My concern is that switching to Linux will mean I won’t be able to draw for days as I struggle to install everything and deal with drivers.

Regarding the distro, I’d got for Kubuntu although I want to make sure firsthand that although it’s best for digital painting it’s still very (n00b) user friendly. If it’s best for painting but if I can’t run Krita because I can’t figure out what’s going on that wouldn’t be fun.

All of those are, of course, “fear” of the unknown but I’d want a distro which is essentially Linux with a very extensive GUI.

Ubuntu is very n00b friendly and has a massive community that does lots of posting and mutual help-assistance-explanations on various forums as well as all the YouTube tutorial videos.

KDE, the desktop environment of Kubuntu, is very extensive in it’s GUI goodness and can be configured in ways that you won’t believe until you try it and find out.

2 Likes

Ok, I think I’ll try!

Silly question but will installing Kubuntu mean formatting my drive to get rid of Windows 10?

I want to install Kubuntu without a usb dongle (I don’t own one) and would therefore use Unetbootin. It works to install Ubuntu, would it work for Kubuntu? Probably would but just checking.

It is possible to install a Linux distribution on the same hard drive as your Windows 10 installation. This is called dual booting and you get a simple option/choice screen when the computer starts up.

The Linux distro installer will recognise the existence of another operating system (Windows) and ask you if you want to keep it and do dual booting.

The easiest way is to download the Kubuntu distribution .iso file, burn it to a DVD then boot from the DVD. This is slower than using a bootable usb stick but that’s why we have coffee/tea and biscuits.

You will need enough space on your hard drive to install Linux, probably about 20 GB minimum, ideally more.
The Linux installer will have a disk formatting utility but it may be easier for you to use something like Easus Partition Master, the free version (or whatever Windows utility you prefer) to create some unallocated space on your hard drive.

With dual booting on an existing Windows installation, there is a small possibility that you will break the Windows ablity to boot up but I think this is rare nowadays.

1 Like

Althought I always suggest having a different hard drive for Linux and windows since I have heard that when Windows updates itself. It messes up the bootloader.

I would suggest you try kubuntu on a usb flash drive and then install it after being a hundred percent sure

1 Like

For those who are wondering, it is possible to install Kubuntu with UNetbootin:

Also, from what I’ve read, I can install directly from my hard drive as opposed to using a USB drive:

Still haven’t made the move… yet!

I had another question:

Is Kubuntu plug and play? That’s something else which is holding me back. I e googled it without any definite answers. From what I can tell Ubuntu is but I don’t know if Kubuntu is plug and play. Maybe I’m seeing this as some overly complex OS where I’ll need to master Bash in order to install my hardware/drivers. The reason why I haven’t made the move yet is that I’m concerned setting Kubuntu up will set me back a few days and a lot of headaches before being able to draw again (by using Krita).

I’ve downloaded everything otherwise and fully embrace the concept but I’m worried about making the move and being prevented to draw.

Because you have a laptop, using a different hard drive for Linux will not be as easy as with a desktop computer.
However, I swap hard drives on my old laptop with no problems (apart from the fiddly little screws).

Using a separate hard drive for Linux has the big advantage that they are totally isolated from each other and if you get into difficulties setting up and using Linux then you can swap back to the Windows hard drive and take a break.

I suggest that you get a 120GB SSD to install Linux on to give a fast and smooth experience with a hard drive that you can drop without causing damage to it. It will also give you about 100GB of storage for personal data files.

Yo uso Krita desde hace 2 años en KDE neón sin problema.
Sobre la tableta Huion no puedo decir nada, pero pronto me quiero comprar una.
He uso con regularidad una “XP pen” con pantalla y una Wacom sin pantalla. Las dos funcionan tan pronto conectar. “XP pen” necesita un controlador para que funcione como segunda pantalla.