"Noise" effect

i was studying other artist artworks when i got stuck in this kind of “noise” effect on the painting.

Is this some kind of specific brush or a filter that is applied at finished work?

The one on the far left has a slight bit of white noise overlaid to break it up. The other two are seeing dithering which is often done to reduce filesize, or to allow the file to be stored in certain formats or shown on certain devices. Krita’s Index Color and Gradient Map filter can do some dithering, but I suspect it’s more likely that these were sent through a special program, PNGQuant for example dithers PNG files so they have to store less colors, and thus are lighter in filesize.

1 Like

Thank you.

all this time I thought was a style choice for the 2 pictures on the right

i tried the white noise overlay (filling a multiply layer in white then using “random noise” filter on it) but maybe isn’t the right approach?

@leaniv: I think you’d want to have a 50% gray layer with noise applied to it, and set that to overlay. This way the noise will both darken and brighten the image. Also some desaturation of the noise is probably a good idea if you’re applying it in RGB.

2 Likes

I’ve achieve similar result in my earlier work, although it is not white noise but rgb noise :thinking:

New paint layer > Filled with 50% grey > g’mic noise fliter > Layer change to “Soft Light” blending mode > Adjust layer opacity to somewhat you like

Then I drop the noise effect since it’s too disk space consuming :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is a South Korean artist that I follow and here he explains a way to apply noise to drawings.

2 Likes

What I do sometimes is:

• Apply noise
  • Blur slightly
  • sharpen slightly

The blur and sharpen can be applied to the noise or to the composition of noise + image. I prefer the second approach.
Example:

This also has a bit of color aberration applied.

1 Like

Noise + unsharp mask is pretty common in digital painting, especially on the concept art side of things. It gives this slight realism boost to things. I remember a tip from, I think, Mullins long time ago that when resizing downwards, it’s good to do it in a few passes, with a slight unsharp mask in between each resizing step. I wonder if some people just did that and started to like the way the sharpening looked.

2 Likes