One point perspective but with two vanishing points?

Today I stumbled upon this thread on Twitter. It shows a typical scene in one point perspective but on closer examination you can see that two vanishing points are used.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7p5eodVUAAKjCR?format=jpg&name=small

I’ve never seen this in any of my drawing books. It is a bit hard for me to follow the thread since I don’t understand Japanese and it is not possible to translate entire threads but from what I picked up it is a common technique used in animation.

From what I understand you sacrifice realism for the purpose of esthetics but I don’t really find it more appealing with two points.

Does anyone know this and can explain what the advantages exactly are and why this is done? Are there any other weird perspective tricks I should be aware of?

Looking at the left and right side walls, they both ‘open out’ more than they would do with just one realistic vanishing point that is common between them. In this way, you can show more of them and anything else constructed and projected in this way. That seems to have the advantage that you can show more ‘depth’ in the image than with the normal use of a single vanishing point for a scene.
Cartoons are not about realism :slight_smile:

I’d say this depends a lot on the style. I wonder if this special perspective is used because it has some advantage in animation. For example when the background has to move because the character is walking from one side of the room to the other. You basically slide the background image under the stationary character and maybe it would look strange in classic one point perspective which would need more redrawing then?

I should have said “…less about realism and more about story telling.”
I think you’re right about the moving background advantage. With a singe vanishing point, the character wouldn’t have to move far before bumping into a side wall so you can fit more action into a scene with less work in this way.
I don’t think it would look particularly strange with one ‘realistic’ vanishing point but it would limit the available ‘apparent space’ available.

It is a stage where you know all the rules of art and you start to bend them based on your needs. Interesting thread I’ll read it in breaks.

From what I know about perspective, if you have lines that ends in different vanishing points like that, they aren’t parallel. Which means the room isn’t a standard rectangle, because those walls are skewed towards each other; here we have a situation there the ends that we see are closer to each other that the other two ends that are outside of the scene.

It can be used to show walls more or can be used to show geometry; since here the brain kind of slides over it without noticing, I think they used it just for esthetics and made sure that the average brain won’t see the cheating :wink:

It appears to not be just 2 vanishing points, but sort of a sliding vanishing continuum. Where the left edge of the bottom of the plate is mapped to the right end of that vanishing edge, then the right edge of the bottom of the plate is mapped to the left end of the vanishing edge. and points between are interpolated between them.

There seems to be an explanation further down. Unfortunately I can’t translate the text in the image.

I think I know what that picture is about but I don’t think I agree. If that was the case, the walls would already appear curved since the difference between their angles is so big already.

Explanation for the picture for people who don’t know what it is about: the picture shows how perspective works for wide-angle photos or views. At first I suspected 90 degrees angle, but no, it’s even wider: it’s 180 degrees because you don’t see any right angles in the middle that I’d expect. This is useful for drawing panoramas or 360 degrees views, it shows how to paint two ends of a straight corridor on the same picture :wink:

It kinda works when you only use the curved lines for construction of your basic object i.e. the box of the room, and then use the corners to draw new guides that are straight, since you don’t want distortion in your finished image. you would end up with vanishing points just like the ones in the image in my first post.

Yeah but what’s the point then? If you straighten them up, then the finished illustration has incorrect perspective… (Of course I believe we already established that there are things more important than correct perspective). It does seem to cheat the brain a bit though, but I think there must be other reason than “I wanted to make a wide perspective and then cut it and straighten up lines”. Someone suggested showing more walls, that seem plausible. What else can it be except for experimentation and fun on the side of the artist?

I mean, the end result is that you have incorrect perspective. There must be a reason behind it. If the original image is from anime show, that makes a bit of sense - the camera is probably moving around and the perspective always (in every shot) needs to be looking somewhat correct, but not necessarily be correct, so this fake wide perspective might be better than something more true to the reality.

I guess it’s to have a consistent way to construct that perspective grid and a compromise between both, normal perspective and this one. It’s probably important to make the trick work because to be honest at first I didn’t even notice that the perspective is “wrong” although I thought I’m someone who knows a thing or two about perspective. I can only assume that it’s special in animation to give more room for action like @AhabGreybeard suggested.