Printing Guide.?

Hi New here.
I would like to know if there is a guide somewhere available to teach me how to setup Krita or printer so that I get the best realistic color from the printer. My first attempts produce a print that is darker than the original.

Your suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks.

Ing

There is a Krita Manual page about color management that will teach you the most important things: https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/colors/color_managed_workflow.html

1 Like

Hey This Forume is fast. Answered in 10 minutes. Thanks Tiar will have a look at it.

:grinning:

1 Like

To be fair, that really depends on whether there is someone ready to help at the very moment you’re writing :wink: There are too little people to actually provide 24h support in their free time :stuck_out_tongue:

Tiar, I had a look at the color management krita documentation, and it is way over my head. I guess what I need is a step by step way of setting up all of this to have the best output possible.

Thanks Ing.

The average/normal domestic colour printer is totally incapable of reproducing the colours as you see them on your computer screen. The exact way in which they will be seen depends on the printer, the inks and the paper you use.

What you can do is use ‘softproofing’ to get an idea of how the image will look if it’s printed and an indication (out of gamut warning) if a colour in your image can’t be reproduced on the printer: https://docs.krita.org/en/user_manual/soft_proofing.html#soft-proofing

This will only be accurate if the softproofing colour profile that you select is a perfect match to your printer/inks/paper - which is highly unlikely. This is just one of the reasons that colour management and colour calibrating is such a difficult and complex subject.

However, softproofing will give you a good idea of the sort of output you’ll see if you print your image, assuming your printer/inks/paper are good quality. Then you could try increasing colour brightness or maybe saturation to try to get it more as you’d prefer. No matter how much you fiddle with it, there are some colours and relative brightness/darkness values that can not be reproduced on a printer.

1 Like

Could you tell us what model is the printer (what brand, if its an Inkjet or a Laser printer) and from what software you are printing from? Krita doesn’t have a printing feature in my experience so i print everything on Scribus.

Im saying this because Printer drivers also have an impact on color accuracy. Some have built in color management option and sometimes it can mess up with the colors. The Epson drivers have automatic correction enabled by default, wich 99% of the time is really good at adjusting the colors for the best result possible (or at least it really good with my Ecotank printer, dont know about other models), but sometimes can have a little trouble so its best so switch to another type of color correction. You should probably take a look into the drivers option about colors.

Thanks for your help Ahab.
I will definitely read all you references.

Thanks for you help Mikhail. I have an Epson 440 Inkjet printer. What I do at this time for printing is I save or export from Krita in .jpg and then using file explorer on Windows 10 I just right click on the filename and print from there. Should this be done differently?.

Thanks.

Ing.

File explorer does not give you access to all the option the driver offers you, thats why i recommend printing from software such as GIMP or Scribus because you need the advanced options for color correction.
If you have trouble having accurate colors here’s a thing you can do since you have an Epson printer:

When you first install the driver it will also install several icc profiles for printing. Here’s a screenshot of the list of icc profiles bundled with the driver:
Sans titre
You can find them by opening the Color space browser in Krita (Image>Convert Image color space) They are all sRGB profiles, since Espon does not provide CMYK profiles, so dont bother with CMYK, just stick with regular sRGB.

Now here’s something i tend to do when some pictures have difficulty printing.
First, in Krita, convert your image to “EPSON Standard RGB-Gamma 1.8”. Ignore the other ones cause only this profile has a special settings with the driver, if you dont find then select any icc profile with the label “Epson”. Once you converted it save your image as .png, .jpeg, .tiff, or any other format.

Then go to the printing menu, in my knowledge you can access it with software like GIMP, Scribus, Office, etc.
This window should show up (its in french but it looks the same for every language)

You’ll se at the top theres 3 tabs. Click on the second tab.

The area in red is where the color options are. By default this is set to Automatic. Tick the other option and a previously greyed out button will now be activated.

Sans titre

Again by Default, PhotoEnhance is enabled. In order to get the advanced option select an option called “Epson Calibration” (in this case its at the top)

This will bring up a panel with multiple sliders you can tweak and experiment with, its very useful when you are trying to get the perfect look.

Also just to note by default the color mode is set to “Bright Colors Epson”, I personnaly prefer to set it to Standard and set the Gamma to 1.8, but its a preference. It should help you get better control on what your printer is, well printing.

Also be always sure to select the right kind of Paper in the options! Its easy to forget this but its important to put the right kind of settings.

Hope this helps!

1 Like