Procreate 3D model Painting

The head new feature of the new update for procreate now. It is not a niche need. I knew this would eventually spill over and reach 2D applications and here it is. When Qt6 hits my prediction is that this will only be a matter of time to happen in Krita too. And I can’t wait for this honestly.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s something that can even be implemented in Krita…

the modules exist already.
https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qt6-dev/qtquick3d-index.html

3 Likes

How does this function of procreate compare with the texture drawing that comes with substance painter and blender? I don’t know them very well yet. But I feel that general 3d software should include the most basic functions

I stand corrected… :flushed:

How would this compare with using krita as a ‘companion application’ for opening and editing textures from inside Blender, which I understand can be done?

I don’t own a ipad to test this but you see reviews about it. honestly I am inclined to buy an ipad now.

Substance Painter was amazing but was bought by Adobe so that will only have a couple of years because the lead fires himself and the project becomes not worth the subscription.

Blender painting is bad lets say that.

They tend to have but dont expect them to surpass an application meant to do that especific job. Krita brushes are way better than Blender’s, Maya’s, 3DsMax’s or Zbrush’s… that is why you export to work on them on external applications. Substance painter just paints 3D objects and is amazing but I don’t need all those bells and whistles to replace it, just need to use a brush quickly and i am cool. even Zbrush has GOZ and it is very good at painting compared to others.

Using Krita as is, not worth the Pain… as any other 2D app. Only Blender has the ability to make it suffer a bit less and that can work with any 2D application.

I mean Procreate will be probably one of the top 2 choices to use for this kind of work. Substance painter is the other at the lead probably. Behind them you will have PS with 3D layers and the Cubism plugin.

Thing is Krita has the potential use libraries that make this so much easier to implement and use what it already has. importing models rendering and all that. the only thing that will be troubling with be projecting paint onto the surface that I imagine will be like a temporary UV set to the camera, and after that is almost free just needing to export some pngs.

Cool! - Updating now… :nerd_face:

Okay… I’m not gonna lie - It’s a very cool thing! :drooling_face:

I just loaded up an included model and started painting - it’s quick, easy and fun.

1 Like

yep. excited to when we get QT6 at which point [based what I read] alot of our wish feature are quicker to implement there + some new things.

I wonder how compatible the materials in procreate are. I get the impression it’s not PBR, which could get pretty annoying when you have to redo the shaders to actually render something in other software.

Your making needesly big requests with that.

First most materials are exclusive to each software or plugin renderer. This because a material is made for a render engine. So most are ussually not even exportable to other applications.

Only thing you have is the open shaders that are open source and blender has been using for a while but now they have new ones and I am unsure if they are base common knowledge. These materials are fast to render and everyone has them.

Also PBR material implies a PBR renderer with raytracing which makes everything slow, moving the camera takes time let alone making changes to the canvas. Can you wait like 10seconds between each stroke? I did not investigate these modules if they have PBR rendering but I doubt it. Regardless only people with good graphics card can use it in real time. you don’t need to render a final shot to paint a texture. Not even Substance Painter or Mari do that if I recall.

What you need is to see how is your progress going on the software your gonna render at from time to time.

Also you don’t need your UVs shaded with a PBR material to paint a texture in a 2d plane.

Regardless textures should not be painted on textures with weird lights applied to them. So fancy materials are detrimental. Because if you change the light condition you might have a really bad surprise and not be able to calibrate because of crunched information as you require that light setup and that is not the spirit of PBR.

Albedos are made to work in any lighting condition and they are usually washed out and dull. That is why I always speak of mat caps or even phong for that matter for this, it would be the best material and the most clean to work on not to mention fastest.

And in case of matcaps being able to be a thing you could make them a resource to exchange kinda like brushes and it could be fun.