Puplaroid's Retro Comic Bundle [New Template!]

Update as of 22/09/2026: I managed to take my time into making a new template and adding more resources on how to achieve this effect. I recommend getting textures from https://texturelabs.org/, as I can’t redistribute the textures themselves in my template, due to their terms of use. :slightly_frowning_face: I’d also warn that this template should be used in middle-end and upper-end computers, as the real-time filters can be resource intensive. I tested it on a Android tablet device, and it lagged a bit, so be aware of the file dimensions when drawing on mobile. (There’s an feature in Krita, the “Purge unused image data” option, it can temporarily help ease up this template’s heaviness!) You can always change the canvas size when drawing too! I also included a ink splatters brush for ink deffects/grunge, and a CMYK flat color palette, for easier color planning for artworks with the filter’s ink percentages. Enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face: Here’s the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpfNsHdgpmdNZZ-33zk66GiZUGnUo9DL/view?usp=sharing

This template was inspired by Retro Supply Co.! Sadly they expressed that don’t want to make their products available on Krita, so I made this. I hope it’s useful! :smile:

Here’s a example of what this new template can do:

133 Likes

Thank you for sharing your work with the community!

Michelist

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot. There is already the Newspaper plugin GitHub - Grum999/Newspaper: A Krita plugin to apply newspaper halftone effect on images but it seems your bundle works differently ? Well, a little tutorial may be helpful :slight_smile: As I’m fond of this kind of rendering, it will be a pleasure to test this.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m aware of that Newspaper plugin, I used it myself a few days ago to test converting some Inkscape vector artworks into retro comic styled art. :slightly_smiling_face: My bundle works in “real time” mostly, having more control over the coloring and “misprint” effect that certain layers can have. It’s based on 4-color offset printing. (I was mostly inspired by RetroSupply, sadly they expressed no interest in making their resources available to Krita users, so I thought of developing this bundle for those who want to draw in this sort of style. :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

I love to see it when niche’s get filled up, one day I hope there will be a Krita brushset for everything you can imagine :space_invader: The lack of metallics was also what inspired me to pick that as my first bundle. Cheers for posting these \╭◜◝ ᵕ ◜◝╮/

1 Like

Yeah, same here! And no problem! Have fun with my bundle, hehe. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Looking for something like this in free version for a long time !
So far I have only managed to play with it for ten minutes to get a basic idea.
It seemed like a very well planned out and flexible resource set.
I will surely try out some presentable art and post it soon .

Thanks a lot for sharing it @Puplaroid !

1 Like

Here is a quick one I have tried with this bundle + template file.
Will surely try out more :slight_smile: !

8 Likes

Thank you so much, I’m very glad you are enjoying it! :smile: That’s a really cute drawing, haha.

3 Likes

Gonna update a new version of this bundle in the coming days as I received constructive feedback to improved them, so stay tuned. :crossed_fingers: (This is my first time making a Krita bundle…)

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your bundle with us. I know it’s a lot of work to share a bundle.

1 Like

You’re very welcome! :smile:

1 Like

Oh, these look awesome. I’m excited to try these out. :heartpulse:

1 Like

Thanks for making & sharing this, seems lots of fun (& is nice to have on Android as I can’t use any Gmic stuff - I love the newspaper plugin too).

Did a sketch of Helly from Severance, didn’t plan colours at all, just a fun drawing exercise.

Wondering if I can adjust the halftone patterns from the CMYK layers on my laptop?

Any way, thanks again for sharing & interesting to see your updates

12 Likes

Here’s the updated bundle, you can uninstall this one and upgrade to the newer one. :smile:

3 Likes

Awesome will check it, thanks

Edit - I assume I’m being dumb - are the no2 halftones
(middle column) supposed to be daker/ denser patterned than the no3’s?

4 Likes

Oh no, I messed up the halftones order. :frowning_face: Gonna do a new hotfix for the newer bundle fix I made. I didn’t had many people besides me to notice any flaws in the bundle, so thank for the feedback! I appreciate it :smile: I will try to fix it.

2 Likes

Here’s some Procreate videos from RetroSupply showing how the CMYK/4-color printing process works. (The same concepts apply to this custom bundle and Krita workflow.) You might also need to use the Bucket Fill tool to erase some percentages of ink coverage to achieve certain color ranges.

9 Likes

The bundle is amazing, thank you for sharing!

12 Likes