Save function to show the .kra option by default

Save function is not showing the .kra option by default sent me in a confusing direction. I didn’t see the box at the bottom to check to save to .kra. I realize that only beginners may become confused by this.

but, new beginners on the other hand are new artists and may be new developers for Krita in the future.

If they do not see that check box at the bottom, it may end up turning them away from Krita if they end up wasting valuable time.

1 Like

This is weird. For me it always shows kra as a default except when I open existing file that has another format already (say a png file), then it would try to use the format it already had.

A situation where existing users would want it to save in the original file format is if they’re working with a .psd file or any other multi-layer file format that is not .kra.

If you open a .png file, add some layers and then Save it, it will try to save as .png file but will give a warning that saving as a .png will lose information.

I @Loni_Dove

Thanks for this topic creation :slight_smile:

As I already said here (Deleted texture leaves imprint on sheer layer), the way GIMP works doesn’t allows user to save a file with another file format than .xcf from Save & Save As dialog box; user must use the Export function to save a file as .png or .jpeg for example.

This can make sense as using another file format than native file format doesn’t allow to save all layers and other information, and it could be a source of frustration when you realize that you’ll lost most of your work and only have a single merged picture as result.

But, on my side I always been bored by the fact I have to Export rather than Save.
Don’t know why, but it’s not natural for me even if it make sense :sweat_smile:

Yes, but for a beginner:

• Kra file format is something unknown and looking on the forum, you can see that some people use .png or .jpeg instead of .kra to save their work because they know these extensions and don’t understand what .kra is and means
  • By opening a .png file to start to work on it, by default it will propose you to save as .png and then, if you have layers they’ll be lost

Yes, but by experience, people don’t read messages from dialog box… you don’t imagine what I already saw at the office :scream:

So maybe, an option in Configure Krita > General > File handling could be the best compromise:
(*) Save file dialog only allow to save native Kra file (like GIMP, default option for new installation)
( ) Save file dialog allows to save to any file format only if compatible (a compromise, default option for updated installation)
( ) Save file dialog allows to save to any file format (like now, with warning on file dialog)

Grum999

1 Like

I remember when that change was made and there was much wailing and knashing of teeth on the forums. It didn’t bother me at all and makes sense (to me) but I can understand your point of view.

Yes, any change must not affect the experience or the workflow of existing users. That sounds like a good solution.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this on the forums but that’s probably only when they never used any professional grade art software before. They all come with their own custom file formats.

Although this is true, I know this from my experience as a developer, I also know there is only so much hand holding you can do before it starts to affect other users. I think the way it is now, is already good enough. Suggesting the file format it already has is what I would expect and that’s what other software does too. Like when you open a Power-Point presentation in LibreOffice Impress it will still attempt to save it in pptx (however warning you if you don’t rather want to save it as otp because of reasons).

1 Like

We explicitly didn’t go for the gimp method because people really really really hated the gimp method. And… at some point you’ve got to let people make mistakes. Like, we don’t cover the streets in rubber tiles wherever we can because children are prone to falling over and hurting their knees. We just accept that children falling over a lot is a part of life. And maybe messing up your first layered file is a part of becoming a digital artist?

1 Like

I did do exactly that. I brought in a png. file right away. So that is why I didn’t see it. :roll_eyes:

Takiro did point out down below that I might not have seen the box because I brought in .png file right away. Which is exactly what I did. So that might be where my confusion came in. Later when I started with a new blank frame , the box was there.

Sorry for my newbieness for causing such friction. That was not my intention. I will think more before I speak.

Don’t worry, there’s no friction, and there’s no stupid question :wink:

It’s better to have these kind of question, it allows to see that something seems to be easy and/or natural for one could be not for others…

After, it’s a discussion about a functionality and a workflow… you’ll have multiple review with different point of view about the same subject.
And if finally after discuss nothing will be made, it’s not a problem: it’s better to talk about something and decide there’s no real need rather than staying with a workflow that could be a problem for some users.

And it’s me and @AhabGreybeard that suggest you to open a new topic about this :wink:

Grum999

1 Like

For not going for the Gimp method, there sure is a ton of resemblance between the two. At least from where I’m sitting. I’m not complaining. It makes it simpler for me to catch on and there were plenty of things that I didn’t care for with Gimp. So far I think Krita is a wonderful program and it just might take me into a new wonderful experience.

It actually excites me that some things are different. I love to learn new things.

I’m all for people making mistakes. That’s how we learn. I’ve made a ton of them myself and wouldn’t give back any of them.