Saving question

Hi! I am new to Krita so bear with me please!
I am also not a techie.
When I save an image - I use Export - I get 2 other files saved too that look like they are blank.
One says it’s a Krita file and one says autosave.
Can I stop that from happening?
Hope you can understand what I am asking!
Thanks!

:slight_smile: Hello and welcome to the forum @jackieludtke!

Probably you have activated the autosave function and the creation of backup files.
To disable this you would have to go to “Settings” (1), then “Configure Krita” (2) and select “General” (3) in the dialog box that appears, then click on the “File Handling” tab (4) and uncheck “Enable Autosaving” (5) and uncheck also “Create a Backup File on Saving” (6), then just confirm with “OK” (7) and this behavior should be eliminated.
However, I doubt if this is a good idea, in case of an operating error or even a program crash you would lose the work done on your artwork between the last save and the “mishap”. I would delete these files only when you are done with a piece, then you “may” miss something without losing tons of work done, but that’s your decision.

Michelist

2 Likes

The only way you can have an autosave file remaining on your hard drive is if there was a crash or if you killed krita with the Task Manager.
When Quit normally, krita deletes the autosave file because it’s only intended for recovery from a crash.

There’s a distinct difference between Save and Export :slight_smile:
They have different effects and consequences.

You should always Save your work as .kra (if you intend to do further work on it).
If you want a .jpg or .png for uploading or printing or whatever then you should Export to that format.

2 Likes

True but since Krita is still running when you export, the backup file will be still there of course.

So yes, there will be three files. Your original kra file (that’s your current project file), the recovery file and the exported file (is not the same as saving your current project).

The same happens when you use save as and choose a different name for the new file.

2 Likes

I hadn’t understood that this was the situation while krita was still running.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I am glad to hear that it has helped you.
Have a nice day and always have fun with Krita. :slight_smile:

Michelist