Summer in Japan

I was inspired after seeing these photos, so I used one of them as reference to study how to shift colors around and create a different mood. I added a couple characters and buildings to practice composition as well.

114 Likes

For some reason when I’m looking at your masterpiece, it gives me this calm and peaceful feeling. You did a great job!

1 Like

Nice mixture of drawing and painting techniques! I like it!
Thank you for sharing it.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Mood was an element I was attempting to incorporate lately, so I’m happy it worked :smiley:

I’m glad you liked it!

It gives a peaceful feeling Nice

1 Like

Wow, it’s beautiful !

1 Like

You have reproduced this scenery perfectly, in a style that I find really beautiful! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! It wasn’t easy to get the colors right, but the result paid off :smiley:

1 Like

Very beautiful! It reminds me so much of Studio Ghibli. I like how you were able to handle the shading. Do you have any tips on when someone should stop shading, or continue shading? Or at least how the can tell when they should continue shading or if they shaded too much?

I find that I always get lost and confused, and I’m never sure if I should continue to shade, or if I shaded too much. I even draw the light source, to help me know where the beams might be coming from.

Thanks for sharing your art work!

1 Like

Yes:+1:

1 Like

Ghibli is a great inspiration to me, I’m fascinated with their works and style, specially when it comes from Hayao himself (seriously his concept sketches are so GOOD to look at). It is natural that my work resemble theirs xD

About shading, I’d say always keep in mind the light source so shadows don’t have random directions. But what mostly helped me was to think about the composition first and then shade areas that work with the composition. For instance, I wanted to make the bicycle guy stand out from the bg, so I put him entirely on shade while the bg behind him is entirely in light. This creates the contrast between lights and darks that I’m looking for. You may also remove some objects/move them around so they don’t fight the composition. This was planned from the beginning, as you can see on the value sketch below.

My tip would be to study shading from real life (use refs for all your pieces!!) and some composition (aka, where to put contrast and where to group values together). I hope this answers your question! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! That helps a lot! I’m always so scared I’m doing wrong with my shading, so this will definitely help!

Also, I adore Hayao’s work!

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

Muito obrigado! :smiley:

1 Like

this is beautiful

1 Like

I really needed such a reference for my animation. this is brilliant.