Upload resize question: how to upload a high-res image to Krita-artists without the automatic resize?

Recently I was uploading images to a thread (Manga WIP) and the system resizes images automatically. To be more precise: this effect is not happening consistently. Sometimes:

a) The image is shown as uploaded (1920x2880)
b) The image uploaded is replaced by a different JPEG image of half the size (960x1440)

How does this happen and what can I do to upload in native resolution?

1 Like

I believe the limitations are 3MB total file size and 4K total resolution (2000 x 2000 for example). (see edit below)

(I moved this out of tech support and into site feedback as this is not a Krita question)

Edit: Here is the best answer I find by searching past posts: 3MB and 9 MP max. Technical points to consider when uploading a picture in the forum gallery? - #3 by raghukamath

It seems I’m following the format limitations. Do you think it’s some special setting on the jpeg? I can show some examples:

  • (Link to post) 2.72 MB, 1920x2880 = it shows native resolution on the post.

  • (Link to post) 587 kb, 1920x2880 = it’s uploaded, but it’s replaced by a 1.91 MB image of half the resolution. EDIT: you cannot access the original from the website.

I can right click on both these images (or long press) and choose ‘open link in new tab’ and the image looks like it’s full size there. That’s what I do when I share winning images on our social sites. Take a look at your images in a new tab and tell us if they look full size to you.

@Takiro Can you tell us what the max settings are in Admin> Site settings menu (image width and height)

Source Default Image Size in Posts - #4 by SaraDev - Support - Discourse Meta

Yes the upload limit is still 3 MB. Images embedded in posts can be in lower resolution to have better load times and due to the responsive design of the website. The download button should open the “original” size with the largest resolution.

Oh, and max image width and height is 400px but that applies only to thumbnails. For the upload size it’s 9 Megapixels.

Also, there’s some room with the upload limit. Images slightly larger than 3MB won’t be rejected outright but they will be resized automatically. In this cases the original resolution will be lost on the forum.

What I mean is that once I open my image on a new tab, the image is half the res. of the original on my device. When the upload process is taking place, it detects the original image and the system replaces it. So, in the end, you can’t access the one of 1920x2880.

Let’s try with this one:

Here’s the upload process:

  1. I dragged the 1920x2880 image of 587 kb to the post editor. It loaded 100%.
  2. I clicked on the image on the preview, and I opened it in a new tab.
  3. I downloaded the image from the tab and it’s 960x1440. A new JPEG file, with a new name, 1.87 MB.

I think I’m following the rules of file size. If there is some other setting, please let me know.

In full display, this new, replacement image has its own res. (960x1440), but the original is 1920x2880 on my device.

Let us try it with those from my side, both are your picture scaled up to 2333 by 3500, the first as JPG the second as WEBP:


And in case the WEBP won’t be scaled down, then it is another reason for using it as format to prefer for uploading artworks to the forum, beside being significantly smaller with most pictures (but not always, only with most content!).

Michelist

1 Like

As I guessed it, WEBP works fine!

Michelist

1 Like

Thanks, @Michelist. Looks like webp is the recommendation.

1 Like

Regardless of which format you want to recommend, if the original file was well within the 3MB and 9Mpx limits but got resized to half the resolution and over 3 times the filesize, that’s a serious issue which should be investigated.

Is there anything else which might trigger a modification of the original image besides the size limits? Maybe it tries to strip metadata or something and then recompresses it poorly enough to need to resize it? The fact that it’s exactly half the original resolution is a little weird.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.