Using Krita for cut out style animation

Apologize if this is a) a silly question or b) if this has been asked here before.

Hi, I am trying to pull off an animation similar to this here Taking Nemo - YouTube (The Liam Neeson effect NOT the fish) and I really I don’t know where to start, I would like to know if this can be done with krita. I hope to get some response from you guys here.

Cut out animation usually uses bones to be able to animate the parts, krita doesn’t have that. It’s possible but honestly too much work, you would need to use transform masks to move the parts. If you want cut out animation blender would be a better choice or even opentoonz since both have bones.
Though the one in the video seems to be basically replacing images, you can do that by changing parts on the frames

1 Like

Can you explain how I can do this on Krita? would this be the easier or faster way to go about the process?

@Mcbain The example video you linked to is not simple/traditional cutout animation. It uses smooth/fluid photo manipulation on the mouth and eyes. That’s only considering the Liam Neeson character, which does also have simple cutout animation for the main body movement.

Do you have any previous experience of making animated videos with any digital application?
If not then making anything like that video would be very challenging for you as well as needing a lot of detailed hard work.

To get an idea of the types of animation that krita is suitable for, you can go to the main page and click on the Artwork: Animations section to see the animations done using krita that have been posted here on the forum.

just paste things on a frame like arms up, next frame you paste arms down, and so on. if this is the fastest way to go? no idea, i dont really do this sort of animation.

The fact is that the Krita tools were created primarily for drawing frame animation imitating classical drawing “on the lumen of paper” or “onion skin”

белка

The animation that You want to create is based on the methods of classical animation of shifting cut elements (a vivid example is South Park), and in Krita you will be forced to simulate this process by first creating a set of individual character elements, and then stacking these elements with transformation tools. Krita versions higher than 5 will allow you to do this to some extent with the help of a transformation mask, but for an inexperienced user it will be a very complex clumsy system, also keep in mind that Krita does not have a skeleton to fasten the body, its imitation will also significantly complicate the work

Krita5+ file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XkK8wERtFxsnPKmmpkOdVUEO7FFG3gxx/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

That looks very impressive, shame about the lack of skeleton / puppet pin tool feature for the body

You have excellent answers to your question above explaining how Krita differs from animation softwares like Blender or Opentoonz.
I think the bottom line is that cut-out animation with Krita is possible, it just takes much more time because you basically do it the “old way”, meaning it’s frame by frame.
I don’t think a lack of experience in digital animation is a problem if you want to try it like that because the principle is very simple in itself and doesn’t require complex tools.
Personally I like doing traditional hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation and I had zero experience in animation before using Krita. It takes ages, yes but it’s not “difficult” technically speaking.
Again it’s more about how much time are you willing to spend on your animation?

If you’re interested in cut-out animation this page has some interesting information:

1 Like

File on disk for Krita version 5 and higher, One of the solutions is to use groups, if you look, you will see that one of the transformation masks is responsible for turning the head, while the other is applied to the group - it moves the body across the screen. You may notice that the faces are placed in the same frame stream and replace each other, according to this principle, having prepared many faces, you can work out emotions or phonemes, or use the group again to place phonemes on top of the face
In addition, the simultaneous operation of several transformation masks can be unstable, and for your purpose you will need one transformation mask for each cut fragment.
Transformation tools combined with animation are currently an innovation of Krita (in fact, unlike my example, these masks will allow you to smoothly change the coordinates/rotations/size of the element using curves). But now this direction is poorly developed, perhaps this is the reason to look for more suitable applications with good tools for working with cut animation, which have already been offered in this topic.

1 Like

It pays to use bones in two cases: for a long animation like this or if you are going to use the characters in an animation series, with several episodes. It’s not easy. An alternative would be to assemble the character in Krita, leaving all the elements (arms, hands, head, torso, leg, feet) properly separated in layers… then you export all this to Blender and assemble it there. This video is an example.

If you’re going to use the character in a short animation, you can animate it using the same transformation tools. Example: you need to rotate an arm, just move the center of rotation to the shoulder and rotate. Unfortunately (I don’t know if they implemented this in Krita) the program does not store the rotation axis in memory. Each time you outside rotate your arm, you will have to move the axis of rotation towards your shoulder.

In Blender you can set this axis of rotation. They call this axis “pivot points”. In other words, you establish a center at which you will rotate an arm, on the shoulder, in this example… and that point is fixed, until you decide to move it to another location. Look here.