Vector engine - brush, fill and eraser

I have been reading alot of feature requests lately and I was thinking on solutions to solve them conceptually and a common trait that has raised was the lack of simplified information to do clean operations over it because it is over pixel information compared to a vector based one.

With a vector basis to operate on some stuff would be much more easy to tackle.

Such as:

• creating line art with fixed width meant for printing.
  • extend end line points to close line art fill gaps easier.
  • easier detection of margins in order to make clean fills for animation.
  • filling in a sequence inside a animation also would be easier.
  • animation interpolation would also be possible if information of start and end points are stored.
  • rigging for animation would also be possible.
  • could replace color as a index due it’s vector nature
  • would bring scalability for any drawing for printing.
  • make the vector layers more artistic and not feel clunky to users.

So the basic idea would be 3+1 tools.

• brush - you plot a line and pressure adjusts the size or not and in contrast you could draw a closed path instead of a line with width. Making post editing possible. To fill as a brush the alchemy brushes would be perfect.
  • eraser - would create points to indicate the cut on the line or would make subtraction area operation to the path. Would use the same engine as the brush but negative.
  • fill - this would fill an empty closed area or just change the color of an existing object. Sensibility to color edges to spill in or not. And for animation sake this could done by adding a fill point that would create the fill but could be animatable and when done merged down into indexed color paths that could then act like a material does. This would make color corrections in animation much faster to handle.
  • empty - an empty object would be just a single point in the 2d plane and would not be rendered. With access to this empty and the other points in python would allow many tools to come out that would greatly improve kritas capabilities in terms of out of scope tools.

I know this is a pain for you guys but I think it would solve a bunch of issues as a consequence and would add the ability have a tool set that would solve certain workflow issues and then convert if wanted and used normally.

6 Likes

I rarely use vectors in Krita but I agree the tools need a bit more love. Like for vector lines I kinda miss adding verticies and give them a size or color information so you can make a line with varying thickness or a color gradient.

3 Likes

Not exactly this, but we talked about having vector brushes for inking during the Krita Sprint. When I and @scottyp talked to @wolthera about this. She told us that the calligraphy tool already has graphic pen support. It is not complete yet. You can test it by choosing graphic pen instead of mouse in the dropdown. Then you can use tablet pressure for thick and thin vector lines. Maybe someone can pick this up and make it better.

There is also option to follow a pre-made path as a ruler or assistant.

4 Likes

Yeah some love to vectors would go along way.

But I must say in case of general doubt this would not be to replace inkscape or whatever vector program but more to artistify vectors like a painting program.

Honestly I hate pixels i find them over problematic and only a final product for encoding sake. But I understand the advantages of pixels. But many times I am drawing and I am like I just need to tweak this line a millimeter instead of redoing it whole… Then my brain melts.

I have taken a look into other animation software and even though you paint with pixels the stroke vector data is still there and because of that they can pull off some serious tricks that krita could end up doing too. Like solving animation interpolations. And so avoiding stuff like filters for animation and printing projects.

1 Like

I wish the calligraphy tool had an option to use a circle brush shape too. It seems at the moment you can only use a square brush shape with the calligraphy tool.

I’ve played with this and it has nice possibilities, especially with the Follow selected path option.

The Caps parameter does give a ‘smooth’ start to the stroke (after it’s completed) but doesn’t affect the end of the stroke and it also does it by extending the start of the stroke.
Blue is a vector line, red is a calligraphy stroke following the line when it’s selected:

The interaction of the control parameters can be quite complicated and obscure and it all does need some TLC.

1 Like