I have been reading alot of feature requests lately and I was thinking on solutions to solve them conceptually and a common trait that has raised was the lack of simplified information to do clean operations over it because it is over pixel information compared to a vector based one.
With a vector basis to operate on some stuff would be much more easy to tackle.
- creating line art with fixed width meant for printing.
- extend end line points to close line art fill gaps easier.
- easier detection of margins in order to make clean fills for animation.
- filling in a sequence inside a animation also would be easier.
- animation interpolation would also be possible if information of start and end points are stored.
- rigging for animation would also be possible.
- could replace color as a index due it’s vector nature
- would bring scalability for any drawing for printing.
- make the vector layers more artistic and not feel clunky to users.
So the basic idea would be 3+1 tools.
- brush - you plot a line and pressure adjusts the size or not and in contrast you could draw a closed path instead of a line with width. Making post editing possible. To fill as a brush the alchemy brushes would be perfect.
- eraser - would create points to indicate the cut on the line or would make subtraction area operation to the path. Would use the same engine as the brush but negative.
- fill - this would fill an empty closed area or just change the color of an existing object. Sensibility to color edges to spill in or not. And for animation sake this could done by adding a fill point that would create the fill but could be animatable and when done merged down into indexed color paths that could then act like a material does. This would make color corrections in animation much faster to handle.
- empty - an empty object would be just a single point in the 2d plane and would not be rendered. With access to this empty and the other points in python would allow many tools to come out that would greatly improve kritas capabilities in terms of out of scope tools.
I know this is a pain for you guys but I think it would solve a bunch of issues as a consequence and would add the ability have a tool set that would solve certain workflow issues and then convert if wanted and used normally.