Want to replace my dying screen, any recommendations?

My second screen I used to use for painting and which is now basically my ref screen is dying and I want to replace it. I wonder if someone could recommend a new one.

I currently use a DELL Ultra Sharp U2713H and I was very satisfied with it. It had great color supported sRGB and AdobeRGB (Which according to the internet is the shit although I never needed it in my life an most print shops I worked with didn’t even want it). Contrast and brightness was okay, nice blacks, factory calibration was good as and all I needed although it always had some issues when used with my Manjaro for some reason.

I would probably just buy the successor of my current screen if no one can recommend a better one. I don’t want to spend more than 1000 €, got my current one for 600 at that time.

I now have a Cintiq I use for painting so I guess it’s best to have a screen with similar specs so colors look the same on both screens.

I have a benq sw2700pt . it has almost 100‰ coverage for adobe rgb and sRGB. It is really a good monitor from my usage experience.

You can also check out various reviews on a website called parkablogs.com

Looks nice and the 4k version is affordable too. Could be nice to have the same resolution as on my Cintiq. Only thing is that I had very bad experiences with benq, they were often broken just after two years. However they where in a lower price segment too. What’s your experience?

I don’t know if the 4k screen has color coverage like the 1440p one. the parkablog author has nice youtube video too and his reviews are really to the point I would urge you to check them out. Here is his review for my monitor model:

From what I read in the specs, the 4k version is identical except for the resolution of course and things like power consumption obviously.

May I ask what “screen is dying” means?
I had a Dell screen many years ago, when LCDs were finally a suitable replacement for CRTs for graphics usage, unfortunately it didn’t live very long, started to display more and more artifacts until it reached operating temperature.

But I wouldn’t know what brand to prefer currently. When my Dell broke, the most affordable non-TN LCD suitable for graphics was ironically an Eizo which I still use, but lately I feel its CCFL backlight slowly reaches its end of life.

I only know what I’d not buy, and that’s LG, a universal bad experience on my side when it comes to longevity (including washing machines).

Going 4k definitely makes sense in your case.
I wonder if HDR would be worth spending some more, but at least on Linux it seems widely ignored :frowning:

2 Likes

It has some broken pixels, a purple line of pixels vertically across the screen and is flickering to the point of getting completely black for a few seconds. So the screen still works but not sure how much longer until it wont even turn on anymore. For some reason it seems to happen more often on Linux than on windows but that could be just my imagination since I work on Linux 99% of the time.

Yeah I also had some bad experiences with LG although my Monitor I bought many years ago still works but had terrible colors, it was the cheapest I could get at the time when I had a very tight budget x3.

HDR would be cool but since it isn’t very widespread among the devices yet, I currently see no point of making this a priority for me (also my Cintiq does not seem do have HDR as far as I can remember). I mostly use my displays for painting and looking at references or video editing. Recently I started modelling in blender to help me with difficult perspectives when painting. I do pretty much no photo editing. However it looks like the newer versions of the BenQ @raghukamath recommend seems to support HDR.

Yes indeed, they have HDR but don’t carry any of those DisplayHDR labels…whatever that really means.

Hm which of the BenQ did you actually look at? I don’t see one that looks like an exact 4k equivalent of the sw2700pt.

But from BenQ’s site, the PD2720U has some impressive specs, 100% Adobe RGB, 4k and HDR for under 1000€…apparently, because I can’t find a single vendor that would have it in stock or even give a delivery date :frowning:

This one
https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/photographer/sw271.html
It was promoted on the BenQ Webseite as an alternative to the sw2700pt.

I personally have a BenQ EW277HDR. It is on the cheaper side costing ~200€ but for the price it is really good. It is 1080p, has an HDR function and has a large gamut for the price range.

Here’s what DisplayCAL measured when I profiled it (sorry for the bad quality pic)

There are screens with a better gamut coverage out here but If you are short on money this is a good substitute imo

Wow yes, that is nice. Wonder where exactly they draw the line between a designer an a photographer monitor though. Apparently they are pretty similar but the sw271 has the ability to change color temperatures and the PD2720U got DCI-P3 colors, which is good when editing movies I guess?

Insane how the PD2720U is sold out everywhere. I find shops that list the waiting time as up to 2 months.

Looking closer, the main differences between SW271 and PD2720U are that the latter is not a true 10bit display (this “8+2 FRC” apparently means 10bits signals are basically approximated by flickering between the nearest 8-bit vales) and it has no hardware calibration.

So if you plan to use it just factory calibrated with plain old 8-bit input (I don’t think krita can output anything >8bit on linux anyway), then the PD2720U would be all you need.
Applying a calibration profile in software loses some quality if you can’t send the result in a higher bit-depth to the monitor.

-edit-
the spec sheet of the SW271 says 93% DCI-P3, so just a tiny bit worse than the PD2720U, and should have a pre-calibrated setting for that too.

-edit-
accidentally wrote PD2500Q instead of PD2720U

The PD2500Q is definitely a cheaper alternative to the PD2720U (which is not available anyway) and the SW271. Missing CSI-P3 wouldn’t be much of an issue for me since my works are mostly for the web and there sRGB is still king. I want to get my stuff printed more in the future maybe. My boyfriend sometimes prints some of my works for personal use and it feels kinda strange (in a good way) to see your digital paintings as physical objects in the actual real world, not sure if that’s only me getting that foreign feeling x3.

Never even thought about the bit-ness, :thinking: didn’t see it in the data sheet. Then I’d probably opt for the PD2700U, which is bigger and has higher resolution but overall seems to be the same thing. And its just half the price as the SW271. However it has an additional Rec. 709 color gamut (which I never even heard of before) instead of AdobeRGB, and although I never needed it, it always felt safe to have. On the other hand it’s supposed to be a secondary screen only, I do my painting on the Cintiq anyway.

whoops why did I write 2500 all over the place…it was meant to be 2720, must’ve copied the wrong string xD

My Benq is still working fine after nearly 7 years. :wink:

I tried the high-gamut route before that, but found I couldn’t manage the workflow - I didn’t know how or if I could synchronise everything. So, while the monitor and printer could both cover Adobe RGB, I never used more than sRGB.

I think colour management has become a lot easier since. :upside_down_face:

Oh btw. Rec. 709 is basically just the color space specification that sRGB is based on…not sure why they list it separately.

And since I already got lost in all the models…for plain sRGB monitors, the PD2700U caught my attention, it’s below 500€.
Should my monitor go belly up unexpectly and I need an uncomplicated replacement on a budget, that’d be an option, only thing that I’d really want for a new monitor is AdaptiveSync/FreeSync though…it’s a bit sad that it’s still not a standard feature.

Wide gamut sure would be nice to have, but I don’t feel like I need it, like, the only one who’s ever going to see my artwork at full gamut would probably be me :laughing:

Yes, I laid my eyes on that too :D.

I just read that it is possible to enable 10 bit per channel in X11
https://linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_enable_10-bit_color_on_Linux
but I guess it doesn’t help much when Krita isn’t able to handle it.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Since my works are for the web, I just use what most people and their devices viewing the web probably can handle and that is sometimes not even sRGB.

And I mostly had the same experience as @Mythmaker and then when you want to upload your works anywhere you have to convert to sRGB anyways.

Is it so? I doubt it.

I just took @Lynx3d by their word, didn’t check or try.