I was reading some discussions about some other FOSS program and there was some interesting parts regarding various ways people view that program. Some wanted just the free stuff, some believed it was a good program and that’s why they were using it, some were arguing for “open source values” which apparently got betrayed simply because the company that makes that program accepted some donations (which has nothing to do with GPL license, after all).
So, I wonder how many people here are using Krita because they are passionate about open source, how many because it’s free and easily available, and how many because it’s a superior software to rule 'em all Note: I made the voting private, after some thinking, but you can choose to share your reasons in the comments below. But please remember everyone, since Krita is based on freedom, there is no invalid reason to use it. Monetary reasons, ideological reasons, practical reasons, all of them are valid, and I don’t want to see any arguing about it here. I just want to see what share every one of them have in the userbase (or rather, just in the forum).
- Because there are features that don’t exist or are better than in other software, or because it’s more convenient to use, etc. (reasons regarding the quality of the program itself, not who makes it or how to get it)
- Because it’s free as free beer (financial reasons) or because I don’t have means to buy another software (no credit card etc.) and similar reasons
- Because it’s free (libre) and open source, understood in a political way (so it’s not only GPL but also not doing user-hostile stuff - those who know the political side of FLOSS will know what I mean)
- Because it’s free and open source - as in, GPL licensed, which means the source code is open (maybe you can make plugins or add your own features and that’s why you like it, etc.)
- Because I’m on Linux (or in other situation) and other software don’t work, so I’m forced to use Krita or even simpler/less functional applications, and Krita is the least terrible
- I dunno, I just got used to or I haven’t looked for other software. No particular reason for Krita.
- Other reason(s) (please write in the comment!)
Let me know if I should change or add some options. Note: I made the distinction GPL/political FLOSS on purpose, though I wonder how many outside people would understand the difference… I hope it’s not too confusing.