Deleted texture leaves imprint on sheer layer

I’m trying to make a texture for SL clothing. My first layer is the avatar map and I created 2 layers on top. One which is solid and one that is at 75% transparency. I deleted the avatar map. But it left an imprint on the final texture. Is there a way to fix this and stop this from happening? If so, what can I do?

Thank you,

Loni

Hi @Loni_Dove

I moved your question to Support and Advice > Beginner’s Questions

Concerning your question, if you can post a screenshot of the problem, with the layer stack visible, it could help to understand what’s happening :wink:

Grum999

1 Like

**ISorry, this is all I have. I had merged them together before I transferred it over to game and I didn’t know how to save the whole thing. I hope this is enough to help. **

You should always save also as .kra file, that way all of your work is for sure saved. And we cannot help you now…

1 Like

No matter how ‘simple’ it may be to make it, it’s a good idea to Save it as a .kra file before you Export the output so that you can easily go back and redo it if needed.
Can you redo this, saving as a .kra file, and post a full screenshot as was noted?

1 Like

As @tiar said, just save file as .kra format: it’s the native Krita file format
Using it will allow to save everything, and especially the layers: if you need to made change to your work, it will be easier if you keep all the layers.

And once you’re work is finished, you can save as or export to another format like .png or .jpeg
(but keep the original .kra file!)

The fact you’ve merged everything and saved your work as png or jpeg doesn’t allow to understand what you did and why the avatar let an imprint on the final texture.

I imagine you don’t have only one texture to produce.
So next time, keep all your layers (do not merge!), made an export as png, and if you have a the same problem, just post us a screenshot of your Krita with the layers stack visible :slight_smile:

Grum999

1 Like

ok. But how do I save it to a .kra file?
I’m a real newbie here with only a few hours into the program and haven’t come across saving it to the .kra file yet.

Loni_Dove

It’s in the ‘usual’ place where you’d find that sort of function. On the top menu bar: File -> Save or File -> Save As.
That saves the image as a .kra file with all layer and layer opacity and blending modes, etc all stored as you created them, ready for your next editing session.

1 Like

Ok, now I see it.
It might have been better if it was said that the little box on the bottom must be checked to save it in that type of file. I got it now. Thank you.

If you open a .jpg file and do work on it, then Save it, it is assumed that you want to save it as a .jpg file, even if you’ve added layers etc, to it.

I think it would be a good idea if the Save was save to a .kra file by default.

Can you raise this as a topic for discussion just in case someone can think of a good reason why it is as it is at the moment?

1 Like

I want to save it in a.png file because I need some layers to be transparent.

I’m not sure what you mean by raise the topic for discussion. I thought I was doing that by this whole conversation.

I am reading through the help section now on layers and playing around with the program. I think I might need to make some changes (or not) to use the program to suit my needs.

I just switched from Gimp a couple of days ago and the platform is a little different. With everything, it will take some playing around with it to get to know a new learning curve. But it will all work out.

I’ll keep this thread posted in anything I find to solve this issue. I’m sure it’s something very simple. So Going back to the basics is where I will find my answer. The Help section is a great place to start.

This topic is about a particular and specific problem you had with producing a texture image, as you described. I hope this can be sorted out for you.

Your point about the Save function not showing the .kra option by default is a good one (I think) but fixing that would involve a change to krita. As such, it needs to be in a separate discussion topic, with an appropriate descriptive title, so that anyone who has an interest in that sort of thing can notice it and join in the discussion.
That may lead to a formal bug report being raised asking for the change.

If you’re used to GIMP then you’ll have no problem learning how to use krita and you’ll find the extra facilities and functions to be very useful.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good think to read doc an play a few with software before really using it for important things :wink:
And don’t worry, this post will stay opened and available if you still encounter the same problem, you’re welcome :slight_smile:

@Loni_Dove, I think @AhabGreybeard start to talk about this subject because it seems that you’re lost at the beginning with the save functionality, and maybe there’s something to improve to Krita with this.

In GIMP, few years ago they decided (I think with release 2.8, not sure) to allow save of files only to .xcf format.
To save a file to another format, you have to explicitly do Export
For me, at the beginning, it was very boring.
For me now, it’s just boring.
Because I know what I do when I choose to save to a format or to another one.
But for newbie it could be more difficult as .kra file format is not as popular as .psd for example

But I agree with @AhabGreybeard, discussion about Save function should be made on another topic to allow to everyone to know what we are exactly talking about (here, we try to understand why you got an imprint on final result)

Grum999

1 Like

AhabGreybeard , Oh ok. now I understand about the different topic. Thank you for making that clear.

Where do you think the best place would be to post about the Save function not showing the .kra option by default would be?

Grum999, It does seem to be quite similar to Gimp with a few extra very nice features that I know I will enjoy.

I think I might have found my problem with the texture leaving an imprint. But before I post, I want to play around with it and make sure that it’s right. It might be a day or two (my time is limited). Then maybe we can shrink this down so it may be useful to someone else.

Thank you both for your knowledge and time spent helping. I greatly appreciate it.

I’d suggest Develop: Feature Requests as a suitable category.

Thinking about it further, I can understand why some people may want to save in the same format that they opened a file with.
However, you can always put anything up for comment and discussion.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

It really is needed to save in the same file I bring in. Which Krita offers without a problem.
Also, saving it to the krita file is a great asset to which I have never experienced. I really like that idea. It will save time.

I may reenact what I did so I can post what you need to see what I did wrong. Which I think I will do just so other people can see what’s going on. I’ll get that on here as soon as possible. Really not sure why this didn’t occur to me sooner.

Screenshot replay.

If you need to produce a .png image file as a result of your work (for use/input to another application) then you need to Export it as a .png file.
Since you’re opening a .png file (the body template/map) and then adding layers as part of the image construction effort, you really need to Save it as a .kra file. If you don’t save it as a .kra file then you’ll throw away all the work you did with the layers.

You should always save as a .kra file to preserve the structure of your work and then later you can pump it out (Export it) as any other image file format you like .png, .jpg, .gif. etc.
If you’ve used GIMP before then didn’t you save multi-layer images as .xcf files?

Your screenshot does not include the status bar at the bottom of the window. This has information on it which can be useful in figuring out what problems may be.

Since you’ve turned off the visibility of the body template, I’m not sure why its grid lines are still visible.
Did you make Layer 4 using ‘New Layer From Visible’ after a right-click on the Damask layer (or via the Layer -> New menu)?

At some stage, did you use a layer blending mode that was not the Normal blending mode?

Where is the overall pink colour coming from? It’s not on the Damask layer or Layer 4 as far as I can tell from the layer thumbnails.

Can you provide the .kra file via a Dropbox or some file sharing link?

1 Like

When I used Gimp before I did not save as a.xcf file, I saved all individually as .png. I guess I didn’t have the knowledge to save to the .xcf file. I learned Gimp through the virtual program where I loaded the textures to to make 3D objects (virtual content). That is what the teacher told us to do. This was back in 2008. So I just continued doing it that way. It worked for me.

After I loaded the body template, I imported the pink solid botic layer, then I created a new layer with the check box at the bottom of the layer window. On the second try I brought in the new layer under the layer tab on top ~ new~paint layer~then bucket fill ending with the same result.

I was reading about the flat paint last night and noticed that they had their lines on top and was wondering if that had something to do with it since mine are on the bottom. Something I need to dig into more.

I don’t believe I used any blending mode at all, but I did use the path tool to remove the neckline. That was my last step and was probably still on. Which would have been done on all of the times I restarted the whole thing.

The overall pink layer is a new layer with bucket fill.

Sorry for not grabbing the bottom dropbox. I thought I had the whole screen. My eyes were drooping at the end there. Sending a new one.

If I understand, the problem is wireframe lines that stay on Layer 2 after removing/hiding the Layer 1 ?

What you want at is something like this?

Grum99

1 Like