Eraser tool

Hello every one, am new using Krita !

Sorry if the questions has already been asked, I didn’t really understand the answer.

So am a little bit confused about the eraser tool.
Is there a way to have another eraser tool separated from the brush or something ? Like on photoshop or whatever ?

Cause for example, when am drawing a sketch, and i want to erase a part of the drawing, i want the eraser size to be bigger to erase faster, but as it keeps the size when I turn off the eraser my brush woud be as bigger as the eraser and I think it’s a waste of time to change the size everytime between brush and eraser…
Maybe I missed something ?
I hope am understanding well.

Have a lovely day everyone !

Hi charlie, im new too! I found the solution. In the bottom of the brush settings you can find an option with a box, “eraser switch size”, just check the box, and then when you switch to the eraser it will remember the last size that you used. Its not like photoshop but thats what i found, hope it helps

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’re using the ‘Set eraser mode’ icon on the Toolbar at the top of the screen.
This converts your current painting brush into an erasing brush that has the same texture characteristics as the brush itself. e.g. if it’s a bristly heavily textured brush than it will be a bristly heavily textured eraser. This may or may not be suitable for your needs.

If you want a ‘real’ eraser, they’re available in the Brush Presets docker. Type ‘erase’ in the search box at the bottom of the docker to see all three of them and use them like an ordinary ‘eraser tool’

If you do that, you can then use the ‘/’ key as a shortcut to switch between your painting brush preset and the eraser brush preset because this shortcut acts to switch to the last used brush preset.

2 Likes

Yes, you will need to switch preset to do that. You can use default script “ten brushes” which allows you to map the preset to a keyboard shortcut. It’s a toggle so you can use it as the eraser mode.

I also heard that blender developed a script that allows you to do a similar thing.

2 Likes

The thing is, there’s often at least three ways of doing something and it’s up to you to decide which way you like best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have a pen with an eraser tip, you can use this to select an eraser preset and switch between them by flipping your pen.

1 Like

Whaaaaaaat I didn’t know that “/” was a thing! Krita keeps surprising me with cool features to this day, even after using it most days for close to a year! :open_mouth: Amazing how many hidden gems there are!

And yeah, so many ways to do it! :grin: One of the things I like about Krita is that I feel I can do things my way! My favorite way to do erasing is Bernardo’s solution, but I love that I can do it the other ways when I need to or feel like it, and can map things however I want!

1 Like

It’s like playing a game where you unlock levels and pick up gems :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone !
Thanks for all thoses answers, it’s a pleasure to see that much support.

So I tried the “/” shortcut, it’s gonna be a great solution, unless I have to change the key cause it’s not very confortable on my keyboard :grin:

@Takiro Unfortunately, my pen does not have an eraser tip !

And @wojtryb Sorry, but I did not understand what is the default script “ten brushes” ?

2 Likes

In top you can navigate to tools > scripts > ten brushes. There you can set your preferred eraser to number one. The shortcut displayed there will switch from current preset to this eraser and reverse way.
Those shortcuts can be changed as any other in settings > configure krita > keyboard shortcuts

2 Likes

Oh, ok I see !
Thank you so much !

2 Likes

"Hi charlie, im new too! I found the solution. In the bottom of the brush settings you can find an option with a box, “eraser switch size”, just check the box, and then when you switch to the eraser it will remember the last size that you used. Its not like photoshop but thats what i found, hope it helps

Where is the “brush settings?” Thanks. :slight_smile:

For example, you can press the F5-Button to reach the Brush-Editor, the other way to reach the Brush-Editor is to click on the Toolbar-Button marked in the following screenshot - the one displaying the icon of the currently selected preset - on the left side of the Button with the 4 squares in it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

39 posts were split to a new topic: Feature request for dedicated Eraser Tool

A post was merged into an existing topic: Feature request for dedicated Eraser Tool