Hard edge charcoal brushes with texture

I have been experimenting a bit with the brush engine in Krita to get to understand it better. I like brushes with hard edges but also an organic edge, and after some trial and error I got a few brushes that work quite well for me. I based these on a couple of brushes from the HC concept set. I liked those brushes, but I don’t like the soft antialising in shape and texture.

I created a liner brush with a size/pressure variety, which I maily use for drawing freehand or to draw shapes as it creates a nice irregular edge. I also created a round brush and a block brush, which are useful for blocking in big areas and roughing. These brushes have texture which becomes more visible at low pressure. By setting the the offset of the texture to random, it is possible to overlap brush strokes without having the pattern overlap in the same way, making it more organic. The key to making these brushes hard edged was to set the texture blend mode to hard mix.

I hope you find these brushes useful and would love some feedback. You can change anything about these brushes in whatever way you like.

Download here

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I will have a test with them.

1 Like

I just downloaded them, they are realy fun to use. I’m defenetly gonna make drawing with them when I have time.

1 Like

I am glad you enjoy them!

1 Like

Please note that you can change the amount of texture visible by tweaking the brightness and contrast settings in the texture settings of the brush editor:

2 Likes

A quick sketch with your brushes. I really like them.

8 Likes

Wow, that is really impressive! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks, @postmax - These brushes are fun to use. Here’s my quick doodle using all 4.

4 Likes

From a distance, this look amazing. Such an illusion of detail (looking closer betrays that it’s a sketch). Great use of those brushes.

1 Like