I don't see the point of this change?;

It looks like the dev is trying to replace the sliders in the HSV adjustment filter with the colored ones. I’m not sure what’s the reasoning behind this decision.

To my understanding the resulted color after HSV adjustment with this filter is relative to the original layer’s color, hence the colored sliders in this case indicate nothing and will just confuse users. (even if you select red in the colored silders the result could look green, blue, totally different.)

I hope this change won’t be pushed unless there’s a reason.

Let me know if I’m understanding something wrong. Thanks.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because Photoshop has it?

I agree with you to a great extent. And more hope that developers can make it into a color picker to correspond to krita’s four color wheels.

But not without advantages:

1. The current slider can only be dragged but not clicked. The changed slider may be OK.

2. After “colorize” is turned on, “hue” is easier to choose

3. It is more intuitive for the “blue chroma / red chroma / luma” and “color balance” filters. I can better predict where the image will shift.

3 Likes

If a qslider is used this is a standard behaviour and can’t be changed without big changes.

I agree delta hue does not make much sense to be colored much. But for colorize it would make more sense.

Omg why are they using 0 to 100 range for this filter? This will just make the filter prone to error so bad and will crunch the images and loose detail all over! This is bad!!!

Please use 0-360 0-255 0-255 to neutralize error. 0-100 only works if the percentage has decimal values for the conversion and no one ever places decimals on the colour value widgets to use those value and even if you use them only for display the input will suffer the same issue. Please change the range.

It’s interesting… It seems that the one in Photoshop is more of an aesthetic indicator, and dragging the slider doesn’t seem to change how it looks.

If you do it that way, I think it’s not that misleading to users and I’m ok with it too.

It’s just an opinion.

I’m not sure about the specifics of the proposed implementation, but the basic idea is desirable. It allows for fine grain control over those parameters with a visual representation for each on the control itself.

It’s something that we discussed a couple of years ago. It might help to read Grum’s thread: Shade selectors

I shared a link in that thread to a video on Bobby Chiu’s youtube channel where he explains the use case for those sliders.

This is one reason I switched to using Pigment.O - it has all those options available and can be tailored to your needs.

Are you sure that you’re referring to the colored sliders in hsv adjustment filter and not the color selector in general? It’s different. I’m in favor of implementing it to color selectors.

I am the one that wrote this code, and also the new HSV color selector. I am not a developer (that is, paid to work on Krita), just a “contributor” (someone who contributes to open source). The developers make the decisions on what to accept. Right now this is just a MR being discussed by the developers. They of course take community feedback quite seriously.

The main reason I wrote this is that having the sliders correspond to colors helps a lot when using the Colorized tick box, since what you see is what you get. The sliders also provide a visual indication of where the color changes will be.

Even when not using the colorized mode, having a visual indication of where the hue can shift and the saturation and values are useful. If the color in the image is green and you want to shift it to blue, then having the color slider show you that blue is right of green means you can just move it directly to the right and you won’t need to guess. A point has been raised that when using the relative mode (non-colorized), the hue don’t correspond to anything, and that point is taken and I’ve updated the patch to make colors on the sliders not change when using the relative mode (ala Photoshop).

14 Likes

Hello @SamLinnfer and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Thank you for explaining the situation and your involvment.

I’m wondering about the point raised by @EyeOdin regarding the range being 0 to 100.
The current range for Hue is -180 to +180, which seems reasonable and logical.
S and V are both -100 to +100.

1 Like

Thanks for your work.
I wonder if there will be other HSX color pickers than HSV added later?

2 Likes

The limits on the sliders are not changed. For relative mode, -180 to +180 for hue, -100 to +100 for everything else. In colorise, 0-360 for hue and -100 to 100 for value and 0-100 for everything else.

1 Like

Those will be now quite easy to add, but would be even easier after this MR is accepted since it provides slider support for HSX color transitions. If I were to add it myself I’d wait until this MR.

3 Likes

This is what I didn’t expect. It’s really a good change!

Yesterday, I found that the behavior of HSV / HSL / HSI / HSY in “colorize” seems to be the same. Is this a bug or an expected behavior? If it is the latter, does it make sense to add color sliders to it?
舒服垫

I think they are just really similar, it’s very hard to tell on a white background. You’ll need to use a photo to see the difference.

I honestly like this change it’s good to have an indication of where the color i want is in the sliders! And i think this helps even when not using the colorize feature

2 Likes

Oh… It just clicked! I see my error! :sweat_smile:

But yeah - It would be nice to have native HSV sliders for the colour selector… :upside_down_face:

You might want to check this merge request then

1 Like

I tested through colorful pictures and found that there was no change. Maybe we need the developer’s answer.
舒服垫

360 100 100 is the worse range you can use but okays.

Now this MR has been merged:

But no one answered my question: is there no difference in HSV / HSL / HSI / HSY in “colorize” mode?

According to the instructions, it should not only have HSL mode:

Colorize

This is an option to have all the pixels have the same hue. It uses a HSL formula by default.

Hue in HSV, HSL and HSI are the same and differ from HSY hue. The rest all is different.