Krita Beginners tutorial series

I started recording videos for very beginners for helping them to ramp up on digital art and Krita. It is the first time I do such thing, especially I have never done voice over before. The first two videos are out. I enjoy doing these tutorials, and I hope finally they will fit together as a beginners course.

13 Likes

Awesome. Keep making more of these.

2 Likes

I will do, as my free time allows it. Next chapter is about layers and basic blending modes. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks so much!!! Looking forward to more videos! :grinning:

1 Like

The newest episode is out about layers:

Please note that I record these videos for totally beginners! Considering this, how do you like them? Are they informative and entertaining? What should I change or do in a different manner?

8 Likes

I recorded a short video about using reference images in Krita. I think it turned out well.

6 Likes

Have you seen the fourth installment?

3 Likes

In case you want some fur/hair brush creation knowledge, here it is:

1 Like

If everything goes well the last episode about saving files will be online. Then I am open for suggestions for deeper, more detailed tutorial ideas if there’s any.

1 Like

A thought I have is the importance of the Tool Options docker for letting you know what can be done with the tool you’ve selected and are using.
This is not immediately visible in the Default workspace.

That could lead on to a demonstration of the different workspaces available and then arranging your own workspace and saving it for future use.

You’ve made a very useful set of tutorials for beginners and I look forward to seeing more when you can make them :slight_smile:

1 Like

True, I just scratched the surface of workspaces and the tool options docker in this series, but they can be easily a longer topic for some more advanced users. In the mean time I am planning to buy a Rode microphone for better audio experience, and I’m doing an online tutorial on video editing as well. Stay tuned, and thank you for the idea!

you can maybe also get videos from other people, and add it in to the tutorial (just a suggestion).

1 Like

For some reason I missed this thread, going to have to invest some time to see what you have done. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t have enough resources for checking the video licenses and mailing the whole thing with the other creators. I plan to build up my own courses with quality stuff targeting beginners and mid-level artists.

1 Like

will it have a listing of were to find the video people are looking for?

1 Like

I try to keep my Playlists as tidy as I can so they can be linked as whole video series too.

I uploaded the last episode, so I let YouTube to chew it a bit with its algorithms and it goes online at 17:00 CET.

2 Likes

So, here you are the final episode of this mini-series. I’m thinking about how to continue it with more interesting content, and a bit of more professional voice over.

3 Likes

I don’t know how it could get any better. Very good job that I am sure is going to be a resource for all learners.

Hi @tmolnar,

There are a couple of points I’d like to make about the Saving and sharing art video:

The autosave facility is only of use for recovering from a crash.
If you close/quit krita normally, it is assumed that you’ve saved your work according to your needs and the autosave file will then be deleted.

In case of a crash, the autosave file is not deleted (because krita crashes before it can delete it).
Then when krita is started, it detects the existence of the specially named auosaved file and offers you the chance to open it, which you can accept or discard.
(There can be more than one autosave file if you have more than one document in progress.)

For producing ‘picture files’ such as .png or .jpg, it’s strongly recommended that you use Export (as .jpg or .png) and that you always Save or Save As .kra.
This way, you get into the habit of saving every aspect of your work (layers, masks, etc) as .kra and there is no risk of accidentally Saving as .jpg or .png and missing the warning notice.

Many beginners have misunderstood all this and have lost work as a result.

Edit:Add: Also, to avoid the extra step of remembering the Save Incremental Version, you can specify multi-level backup files in the Settings and then all you need to do is Save and you’ll have an incremental Save history in the backup files, limited by the depth of backup files that you specified.

5 Likes