Krita Randomly Not Registering Strokes Most of the Time

Type of device: 2-in-1 laptop
Brand and version of the device: HP Probook x360 440 G1, with Wacom Bamboo Ink Plus pen
System: Windows 10.0.19043
Krita Version 4.4.5, using Windows Ink API

Description of the issue:

Hey there! Didn’t want my first post on here to be about issues, but here we are…

I’m having some trouble with Krita sometimes not registering strokes. What I mean is, I will start to draw, but no line appears no matter how hard I press. It will only start drawing again if I completely lift the pen and start a new line.
It seems to happen about 50% of the time, but sometimes it won’t work 10 times in a row.
Needless to say, Krita is completely unusable like this.

I know it is not a hardware issue, as Windows’ built-in snipping tool drawing thing registers my strokes correctly every time. Krita’s pen test also detects my strokes every time. It’s only an issue when actually drawing.

Sometimes when this happens, the regular Krita circle cursor shows up. Other times, it doesn’t show up at all, and only Windows’ default little cross is visible.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? If so, were you able to fix it?
Cheers!

Have you tried turning Windows ink off? Seems I remember someone with issues that had to do that.

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you use the tablet tester to get a record of the events when you bring the stylus close, draw and then move the stylus away?
It should look something like this:

Pen tip brought near
Stylus press X=153.65 Y=65.84 B=1 P=17.5%
Stylus move X=154.33 Y=65.95 B=1 P=27.7% (DRAW)

many similar ‘Stylus move’ lines deleted

Stylus move X=147.42 Y=70.04 B=1 P=12.7% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=147.42 Y=69.61 B=1 P=0.0% (DRAW)
Stylus release X=147.42 Y=69.61 B=0 P=0.0%
Pen tip taken away

And it’s also important to check if the Krita setting matches the one in the driver settings since Wacom has it’s own Windows-ink/Win-Tab setting. A mismatch is one of the most common cause of all sorts of input issues. Both need to use the same.

1 Like

Thank you for the assistance, everyone! I’ll try to respond the best I can.

Have you tried turning Windows ink off? Seems I remember someone with issues that had to do that.

And it’s also important to check if the Krita setting matches the one in the driver settings since Wacom has it’s own Windows-ink/Win-Tab setting

If I switch to WinTab in Krita’s settings, it does recognize every stroke. However, pressure sensitivity also completely stops working.

On the internet I can see that some poeple can disable Windows Ink in their Wacom driver settings. However, I cannot install the Wacom Feel Driver because it requires a Wacom tablet, not just a Wacom pen. HP does not provide any sort of control panel to turn it off, and their Pen Settings app in the Windows Store is “incompatible wih my device” (and 90% of their store reviews say the same).

Basically, it looks like there are no control panel or driver settings available for my particular hardware.

Can you use the tablet tester to get a record of the events when you bring the stylus close, draw and then move the stylus away?

Sure! Here it is:

Pen tip brought near
Stylus press X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=40.9%
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=47.9% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=52.9% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=55.8% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=57.6% (DRAW)
Mouse press X=29 Y=188 B=1
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=58.7% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=28.89 Y=188.18 B=1 P=59.6% (DRAW)
[More Stylus move events...]
Stylus move X=160.75 Y=96.95 B=1 P=25.4% (DRAW)
Stylus move X=159.76 Y=96.95 B=1 P=12.7% (DRAW)
Stylus release X=159.76 Y=96.95 B=0 P=0.0%
Mouse move X=160 Y=97 B=1
Mouse release
Pen tip taken away

It does look different than your log, I have a few extra mouse events

I also did some further experimentation, and I found two more things:

• If the drawing window is not focused, the first stroke is always recognized.
  • If I bring my pen into proximity and wait a while until the cursor appears, the chance of the stroke being recognized is much higher. On the strokes that don’t work, it looks like Krita’s circle cursor only appears after I have already pressed the stylus.

Have you also deactivated the Windows-internal Windows-Ink settings? The quickest way to find these settings is to type “Ink”, “Pen” or “Pen Settings” in the Windows search. On my Windows, I have disabled all the options there. Before you try this, I recommend to write down the current settings or save them with screenshots.
Here you can find how I set it. Otherwise, I don’t know what else you could try.

Michelist

Thank you for your comment. I have gone through and switched to the same settings as you, but sadly the problem still persists.

Those extra mouse events are something I’ve seen before with particular settings and options (which I can’t remember). I don’t know why or what their significance is but they don’t seem to do any harm.

It may not help in the short term but can you contact Wacom to make them aware of your problems and maybe include a link to this forum topic in your email to them?

The fact that you have no way of adjusting the behaviour of the pen via a Windows based utility/interface is probably important here.

Yes, as mentioned this happens when you change it in Krita and forget to also change it in the Wacom settings (or the other way around). This is a common mistake and it also affects other programs.

There should be a check box somewhere in the Wacom settings to enable/disable windows Ink. It needs to match the setting in Krita. The wacom setting sometimes needs a computer restart to be applied.

He does not have a Wacom tablet, only a Wacom pen and a correspondingly sensitive display, so he cannot install a Wacom driver and thus has no Wacom settings.

Michelist

I see, sorry didn’t read properly. That makes things difficult.

Searching around on HP’s and Wacom’s support forums, it appears that neither of them are willing to help with this particular hardware combination. HP only support their own HP Pen, and Wacom does not have my exact device on their list of supported hardware.

I am still leaning towards this being a problem on Krita’s side, as the pen works perfectly with Windows’ built-in drawing features. Perhaps it is a bad interaction between how Windows Ink handles my device, and how Krita handles Windows Ink.

For now, I think I will try installing Linux. That should take Windows Ink out of the equation.
It should also be faster than getting through a support hotline, at any rate.

Thank you for the help so far!

Linux has built-in Wacom drivers (Wintab) but I have no idea if these support touch screens and that particular pen that you’re using.
It will of course be free to try it with Linux if you want to.
If you have no previous experience of Linux then I’d recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I also recommend booting and trying from an USB stick before actually installing anything on you laptop.

I’m back from my Linux installing adventures! Thanks for all of your concern, but I am already familiar with Linux :smile: Probably should have mentioned that before going offline.

I installed Arch in dual-boot, and it works perfectly with my pen using the integrated drivers (DIGImend?)

So in the end, Windows Ink / Krita’s Windows Ink support really was the issue.
I wonder if this is worth a bug report, since this proves it’s not a hardware issue… On the other hand, it’s probably not worth the devs’ time to fix this weird hardware combo… Oh well.

If anyone comes across this thread on Google later, this is how you fix it. Use Linux instead, it has better drivers. Never thought I’d say that.

And thank you all again for helping me!

Let’s back up just a little bit. You said something about using a wacom pen:

“Searching around on HP’s and Wacom’s support forums, it appears that neither of them are willing to help with this particular hardware combination. HP only support their own HP Pen, and Wacom does not have my exact device on their list of supported hardware.”

so I’m thinking this is really not a ‘supported’ combination for whatever reason…
which to me leaves thinking it’s a driver issue and not a Krita issue.
the bug report would have to be with HP or Wacom I’m guessing

…hmmm.

P.S. Glad it’s working for you!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.