Resource bugs in Krita 5

Great work on the resource rewrite! I have been testing out the latest 5.0 alphas recently, and so far they have been wonderful! It works much much better!
Though, these are the bugs I have encountered when getting back to making brushes, this time using Krita 5 builds. I use Windows 10

Importing brushes (brush tips) in the Brush Editor sometimes do not work anymore

I have two brush tips
tip)_Foily
tip)_Foilyy
only the latter shows up, as I renamed it after adding white to its background, and then it showed up.
It acts kinda similar to the name problem that is described below with brush presets. Deleting tip)_Foily and renaming tip)_Foilyy to tip)_Foily makes nothing appear in the Brush Editor.
I am uncertain as to why. Other brushes I try to import also won’t show up, though, some do!

What I am starting to think might happen, is that I might have added the same pngs, but with different names. “RakurriCoolstroke”, which is a brush/brush tip with a silly WIP name, has the same png image as the one I try to add “tip)_Flametip”. Maybe Krita detects that the brush is already there in the new version and refuses to add another where the only difference is the name?

Renaming brush presets is still broken/confusing in some regards.
(Sorry if I get a bit rambly here)
My main problem:

  • Sometimes I get “locked out” from using names. For instance, I had a brush called “rwip)_Aquapastel”, I tweaked it and wanted to give it a new thumbnail. I call the new version “rwip)_Aquapastell” (with two “l”) just to be sure. The problem now is that I cannot overwrite or call the new one “rwip)_Aquapastel”, as it will disappear. I cannot delete “rwip)_Aquapastel” from the folder, and then rename “rwip)_Aquapastell” in the folder to “rwip)_Aquapastel” as that will make them both dissapear inside Krita (not in the folder). This does not make sense.
  • Maybe it would be better (if possible) if the name inside Krita and the name inside the resources folder always were the same? So that calling/Renaming a brush Mybrush1 inside Krita would make it be called Mybrush1 inside Krita as well as inside the folder, and then make a .backup0001 of the previous. Instead of how it is now, with the new one being Mybrush1.0001 inside the folder and still called for instance Mybrush1 inside Krita?
  • It’s surprisingly hard to update the brush preset’s thumbnail. Saving over an old name simply do not work for me; it will keep its old thumbnail. I have to give the brush a new name, which is annoying if I really liked the name.

To kind of explain what goes wrong, I toyed around with common scenarios, and wrote down my experiences. I am sorry if it feels rambly. With the limited time I have now I haven’t spent a long time finding the most efficient ways to recreate the issues, but I think the block of text below can give an idea of why I think it’s confusing, and what might cause the problems:

Click here for an example

Lets’ say I want to make a new brush

I select “i)_Wet_Paint” as my brush, i change it some to make my own, and then i select “Save New Brush Preset…”

I save it as “Mybrush1” and makes a thumbnail for it

I click “Save”

Now I want to make a better thumbnail for it

I tweak the brush a bit more and makes a new thumbnail for it
I “Save New Brush Preset…” and call it the same name, “Mybrush1”, because I want to save over the old one with a new thumbnail, this is the only way to do it from within Krita.

I click “Save”

Even when restarting Krita, the picture is not updated, it still uses the old one.

I change the brush again, and this time save a new preset as “Mybrush2”

This time it works. Since it works now, I want to replace Mybrush1 with Mybrush2

I delete Mybrush 1 inside Krita
(Mybrush 1 is still inside the folder paintoppresets folder)

I rename the Mybrush2 to Mybrush1 from within Krita

I restart Krita

Just to test, I delete the newly created Mybrush2.0001 so that the folder only contains Mybrush1 and Mybrush2

Now the brush is glitched
(Selecting it will make Krita select another instead.)

Let’s try something else

I bring back Mybrush2.0001 into the folder.

I delete Mybrush2 from the folder, as Mybrush2.0001 is the new one

I restart Krita

It now works, again, but is now strangely called Mybrush1 inside Krita, but with our new thumbnail that we wanted.

I try deleting Mybrush2.0001, restart Krita, and now I dont have any brush at all. “Mybrush1” is still in the folder, but nothing appears in Krita.

I try to bring back Mybrush2.0001

Now Mybrush1 appears again inside Krita

I rename Mybrush1 to Mybrush2 (all inside of Krita)
That works, now Mybrush2.0002 appeared in the folder, and it shows as Mybrush2 in Krita

I now want to rename this (Mybrush2.0002) brush into Mybrush1
And to keep my folder organized, I would delete the other ones.
I close Krita, and delete Mybrush1 and Mybrush2.0001 from the folder

I rename Mybrush2.0002 to Mybrush1, as that is it’s correct name

I open Krita

Now none of the brushes (MybrushX) there anymore

I rename Mybrush1 inside the folder to Mybrush3 and restart Krita

Now it’s there again, weirdly called Mybrush 2 inside of Krita, but Mybrush3 inside the folder

Let’s try to make a new brush - I want to have a brush that acts similar, and i NEED it to be called Mybrush1

I make a completely new brush from inside the Brush Editor

“Save New Brush Preset”, I draw in the “paint in this area” and makes a new thumbnail. This time it works. Mybrush3

Let’s delete it from inside Krita. And restart. Now, as expected, only Mybrush2 shows up

I change Mybrush2, change the tip and rename it Mybrush1
Restart Krita
Changes did not make it as it didn’t want to save.

Make a new brush, Mybrush4
I delete Mybrush1 from the folder
rename the new Mybrush4 to Mybrush1
Restart Krita

Now both of our brushes are called Mybrush1 inside of Krita, but the names in the folder are
Mybrush3.0001
Mybrush3
Mybrush4.0001
Mybrush4

Mybrush4.0001 and Mybrush3.0001 are probably the correct ones, so I delete the ones without the .0001 at the end, and rename my brushes
Mybrush1
Mybrush2
inside the folder

Now BOTH brushes do not exist inside Krita

I change their name inside the folder to
Mybrush5
Mybrush6

Now they show, but they are again called Mybrush1 inside Krita, both of them.

I have a hard time changing the thumbnail of already created presets, and sometimes my presets can’t be renamed to preset names I have used before, as they just disappear. This means that I can come up with the perfect name for a brush, and then kind of lock myself out of that name.

Thank you for reading