Hello everybody, I am going to make a storyboard feature this summer ( at least for the northern half of the globe ) as my GSoC project. This is a list of mockups, features and functionalities that we have planned so far:
- There would be a Storyboard docker that would show relevant non-empty frames on the image’s timeline.
- The frame would be shown as a thumbnail. User can paint on the thumbnail directly. Changes made to the frame from the canvas and storyboard docker would mirror each other.
- Every storyboard item has associated comments fields.
- These fields can be added or deleted on a per document basis. i.e. If you add a dialogue field, it would be added to all the storyboard items.
- These fields can be shown or hidden on a per document basis.
- Any non empty frame would be added to the storyboard docker.
- The frames of the image may be “pinned” or “unpinned” from the docker.
Interaction with timeline Docker
- There would be a duration for every storyboard element. There would be hold frames after the storyboard’s frame in the timeline for the duration.
- Selecting storyboard item would select the relevant frame in the timeline docker and vice-versa. Similarly with swapping. Deletion from storyboard docker would not delete the frame from timeline.
- Non-empty frames can be added from the storyboard docker.
Navigation and Ordering
- To customize the docker there would be two options mode and view.
- 3 modes : grid, row and column to choose the order in which frames are arranged.
- 3 views options : Thumbnails only, comment only and both to hide and show different fields.
- Comments drop down list with different text fields.
- Scrollbars for navigation.
- There would be options to export in SVG format or in PDF format.
- To specify layout there would be options to choose rows per page , columns per page and page size.
- Alternatively layout would be specified using SVG file as well.
I would love to hear your opinion, improvements, suggestions questions about this . Also there is a phabricator task here. Also the GSoC proposal here ( Jump to UX Design section for details about UI).