Switch to Alternate Version of Brush Plugin

This plugin adds a shortcut to switch between brush preset that has the similar name (any brush preset with a shared name before “[”, “Paintbrush”, “Paintbrush [1]”, “Paintbrush [2]”, “Paintbrush [Wet]”). The brush name before “[” or " [" have to be the same.
Download

The original purpose of this plugin was to change between different brush angle. Since apparently changing brush tip angle via python is not possible. I made this plugin to switch between the brush preset and its duplicates with different brush tip angles.

“Watercolor”
“Watercolor [90deg]”
“Watercolor [180deg]”

Why switching brush angle?
While Krita&MyPentab have brush tilt useful when you want to change the brush angle subtly, but when you want to tilt 60 degrees up you have to rotate the view, or proceed with an awkward posture.
in reality, I often change how I hold my brush/pencil, so I don’t have to move my elbow all the way when I want to rotate my pencil 90 degrees or roll it to 180 degrees.

But you can use this plugin how you see fit, maybe switching between the brush blending mode, shapes, or anything.

“Paintbrush [Wet]”, “Paintbrush [Dry]”
“Paintbrush [Square]”, “Paintbrush [Textured]”
“MyBrushes [Brush 01]”, “Paintbrush [Brush 02]”

This is my first plugin. I have no experience in phyton, only have web dev programming and little unity3d programming experience. This plugin may be not well written. I hope it will work, and you find this useful.

3 Likes

so cool, its a great implement to brushes collection.

HI! im trying to use the plugin and don’t work.
maybe there’s some i m not understanding. I have “wojtryb6_N_24_knife” i modify it and rename to “wojtryb6_N_24_knife [1]” and don’t work.
Its correct what i did?

This plugin is basically “next favourite preset shortcut” but instead of switching between presets in favourite tags, it switches between brush that has a similar name with the selected brush preset. so both “wojtryb6_N_24_knife” and “wojtryb6_N_24_knife [1]” have to exist.

of course you have to set a keys to the keyboard shortcut “Configure Krita>Keyboard Shortcut>Scripts>SwitchBrushAlternative”

in the latest version, presets will share opacity and size when switching, unless you turn it off in “tool>scripts”. or having letter “o” or “s” in the second brackets in its name to disable opacity ("<brushname> [<anything>] [os]" < this will disable opacity and size sharing for this preset.)

3 Likes

it works some times, with simple names, but with other no and also appear this error:
KeyError
Python 3.8.1: /usr/bin/python3
Sun Jan 3 12:03:16 2021

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of
function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

/home/chancho/.local/share/krita/pykrita/sb_alternative/init.py in on_sb_alternative_next_trigger()
53 lastPreset = pp
54 presetFound = True
56 if nextPreset == None : nextPreset = firstPreset
57 if prevPreset == None : prevPreset = lastPreset
nextPreset undefined
firstPreset undefined

/home/chancho/.local/share/krita/pykrita/sb_alternative/init.py in alternateBrush(self=<sb_alternative.SwitchBrushAlternative object>)
43 if sp == ss :
44 if firstPreset == None : firstPreset = pp
45 if presetFound == False :
46 prevPreset = pp
47 else :
presetFound = False
KeyError: None
cause = None
class = <class ‘KeyError’>
context = None
delattr = <method-wrapper ‘delattr’ of KeyError object>
dict = {}
dir =
doc = ‘Mapping key not found.’
eq = <method-wrapper ‘eq’ of KeyError object>
format =
ge = <method-wrapper ‘ge’ of KeyError object>
getattribute = <method-wrapper ‘getattribute’ of KeyError object>
gt = <method-wrapper ‘gt’ of KeyError object>
hash = <method-wrapper ‘hash’ of KeyError object>
init = <method-wrapper ‘init’ of KeyError object>
init_subclass =
le = <method-wrapper ‘le’ of KeyError object>
lt = <method-wrapper ‘lt’ of KeyError object>
ne = <method-wrapper ‘ne’ of KeyError object>
new =
reduce =
reduce_ex =
repr = <method-wrapper ‘repr’ of KeyError object>
setattr = <method-wrapper ‘setattr’ of KeyError object>
setstate =
sizeof =
str = <method-wrapper ‘str’ of KeyError object>
subclasshook =
suppress_context = False
traceback =
args = (None,)
with_traceback =

The above is a description of an error in a Python program. Here is
the original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/chancho/.local/share/krita/pykrita/sb_alternative/init.py”, line 55, in on_sb_alternative_next_trigger
File “/home/chancho/.local/share/krita/pykrita/sb_alternative/init.py”, line 45, in alternateBrush
if presetFound == False :
KeyError: None

and in this moment work!!! wtf!!!

This is an excellent plugin, great idea, simple to use, huge timesaver! Thank you so much for creating and sharing! I hope that you will continue to maintain it and maybe even further develop it… BR